JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well my problem is that my 1911 is a Taurus and they did a pretty poor job on the rough cut. It was doing a 45* rise from left to right and because of that it wouldn't feed hollow points. The file that I'm looking for is made for 1911 to help match up the parts. It's tough keeping my dremel out of there to fix it free hand.

Gunsmiths are a wonderful thing. I know people love to do things themselves, and that's respectable. But feed ramp changes are something that should be left to an experienced pro...

Hi!

Your problem is more than likely NOT the feed ramp--especially if the round is "nosediving" into the ramp. The problem is more than likely the magazine.

Let me explain...

If you are running one of the current 8 round mags, there is a chance that the magazine spring has been sitting in there for some time. When the breech face hits the base of the cartridge to strip the round from the magazine it will cause the round to tip down if the spring is weak. Result? A jam.

I suggest the following:

1. Replace the recoil spring with a Wolff 16.5 lb. spring. This is the original spec weight for the 1911 handgun.

2. Get some good quality magazines, if you don't have them already. I highly recommend (and use) Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags.

3. Replace the springs with Wolff +5% magazine springs for some added pressure that will hold the round in the proper position for feeding.

If you must polish the feed ramp and chamber mouth, I recommend a felt bob, spun in a 3/8th variable speed drill at medium speed. Coat the felt bob with Simichrome polish--that part will look like a mirror in no time.

Do NOT---I repeat, do NOT--change the geometry of the feed ramp, bullet guides or chamber mouth in any way.

One thing that you CAN do to ease feeding and chambering is to chamfer the extractor hook JUST a bit. Do this with a small Swiss file. You'll want to just break the bottom edge of the extractor recess--this is where the rim of the round slides behind the extractor hook. Don't remove too much metal--a couple of light passes will do the job. Finish by wrapping a small piece of 600 grit sandpaper around a Q-tip stick; polish the cut just a bit.

Give it a try--this might solve your problem! If you still have problems, PM me--I've worked on 1911 pistols for some time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top