JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Building an AR for the wife and she wants it as light as possible. She also has stipulations for a 14.5 inch bbl w/ the PWS compensator, I tried Bravo Company for it but they only offer the pinned and welded PWS for their mid-length lightweight kit and not the carbine, would they put one on if I called and requested it since they offer it for their other 14.5 inch barrels? If not, does anyone know a different place that would have it or if its legal to buy the parts seperately and get it pinned and welded by a smith?

you can buy the parts and have a smith do it. just dont put the upper on the lower before it's pinned... or if you do, don't tell an ATF agent.

I have to ask,why do a short barrel and the put a long flash suppressor/muzzle brake unit that weighs as much as 2-3 inches of barrel on it to make a legal weapon?
Why not just buy a 16" barrel instead? Then put a little hider on it.
Never could understand this.I rather have barrel than hider.Just me though.

The overall length w/ the pinned and welded PWS takes it to 16.1" so it really isnt bad. But more importantly, Has your wife ever wanted something that didn't make sense to you? and did you get it for her?

Why not? You cant have a 14" barrel in WA so no one will send it unless the flash hider is already permanently attached making it 16". Unless you know someone with an FFL that doesn't mind taking the risk of having it sent to them then having ATF show up at there door wondering why you dont want to fallow the law.

there's absolutely nothing illegal about possessing a 14.5" barrel in the state of WA. we're not talking about a complete gun, we're talking about a part.

there's absolutely nothing illegal about possessing a 14.5" barrel in the state of WA. we're not talking about a complete gun, we're talking about a part.

So your saying I can order an 11" upper and they will send it to me because its not complete? Even though all NFA rules apply when ordering something under 16" in the end he will still need a class 3 just to order it online.

So your saying I can order an 11" upper and they will send it to me because its not complete? Even though all NFA rules apply when ordering something under 16" in the end he will still need a class 3 just to order it online.

uhg...

i'm an AR armorer.. i'm NOT an SOT, nor even an FFL. i've ordered dozens and dozens of short barrels and short barreled uppers, and know dozens of other people who have. it's done all day, every day, all across America.

the only thing that is expressly prohibited is a complete weapon with short barrel and title I receiver. parts do not SBRs make. there's been one case, in the last 80 years, that i'm aware of, where a guy was prosecuted for possessing a short barrel that wasn't installed- they called it "constructive possession," citing he had all the pieces to make an unregistered SBR, therefor he must be intending to do so. SCOTUS overturned the conviction, stating if the parts in question can be assembled into a legal configuration, it cannot be assumed that parts are going to be assembled into an illegal configuration.

therefor, anyone can order short barrels. just dont order FA FCGs unless you own an RDS or pre-86 FA receiver (since an FA FCG cant be made into a legal configuration). a sheriff's deputy in hawaii was actually prosecuted for doing exactly that, a couple years ago.

They apply to Firearms, not parts, Its National Firearms Act, not National firearms Parts Act. You can order a stock for a glock too, just dont put them together without the proper paperwork. But If i was goign the cheap route, i would check, AR15.com, thers lots of good deals there both new and used.

You could be making a pistol with that 11" upper,no?
I believe they put that "NFA rules apply" on there to protect themselves,cause like bkb is saying,people buy then all the time and make pistols out of them.The manufacturers just want YOU to make sure you know what you are getting and getting into.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top