JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know why the new bridge on Glencoe rd & hwy26 has what looks like prison towers built into it? If you zoom in it appears that there are bars on the windows like a prison tower and I cannot figure for the life of me why these towers are necessary on a bridge like this other than say....Martial law? Speed checking for cops maybe? but I can picture this being for Martial law and closing the hwy to thru traffic in the near future. Enlighten me please anyone who knows the purpose.

View attachment 132654

99229ffc-9e1b-45b3-ba5c-a9d1c6bd75bd_zps9aa2a234.png

View attachment 132655

3140e8ad-8385-46f1-899b-07d91a20bf56_zpsfaa76746.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why the new bridge on Glencoe rd & hwy26 has what looks like prison towers built into it? If you zoom in it appears that there are bars on the windows like a prison tower and I cannot figure for the life of me why these towers are necessary on a bridge like this other than say....Martial law? Speed checking for cops maybe? but I can picture this being for Martial law and closing the hwy to thru traffic in the near future. Enlighten me please anyone who knows the purpose.

View attachment 132650

No idea. Pics too small to tell what they are for..

99229ffc-9e1b-45b3-ba5c-a9d1c6bd75bd_zps9aa2a234.png View attachment 132651 3140e8ad-8385-46f1-899b-07d91a20bf56_zpsfaa76746.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The way it looks it could be for access to the area under the bridge. Looks like they walled off the upper portion of the embankment to eliminate transient condo's.

maybe they are stairwells/elevators leading to secret underground bunkers for the evil politicians to meet up and discuss their new world order....or maybe they are control towers for the drones the big bad gubment is going to use to spy on you...or maybe they're going to house cameras looking in all directions to read everyone's license plates so that they can track your movements. if you don't feed your paranoia, it will never grow. :s0131:

could be an access port for inspections if they walled off the bridge joints to avoid homeless housing under the bridge, maybe traffic camera towers, or possibly vents/ access ports for utility vaults/runs under the bridge. Hard to tell from the small pics or without seeing them in person or on blueprints. Years ago when I worked for DOT you could go to the state archives and look at the plans/prints for any given section of road/bridge but with the post 9/11 world they may have made them less accessible.

could be an access port for inspections if they walled off the bridge joints to avoid homeless housing under the bridge, maybe traffic camera towers, or possibly vents/ access ports for utility vaults/runs under the bridge. Hard to tell from the small pics or without seeing them in person or on blueprints. Years ago when I worked for DOT you could go to the state archives and look at the plans/prints for any given section of road/bridge but with the post 9/11 world they may have made them less accessible.

Kind of what I was thinking.
A lot of utility cabling and piping within the bridge. The rest aesthetics.

That is one tiny pic.
On a bridge over by Astoria there's these little bump-outs, much like that.. they are great for shelter from the wind and rain since that's what they were originally designed for.

Theyre much to small to fit a man. Well a real man anyway.
I pass by there often. I think it was a way for them to piss away money and perhaps palce traffic cams in. One of the small towers doesnt have any bars as all so no idea there.

Instead of asking us, why don't you ask the civil engineers of the governing body that had the bridge constructed? It seems you'd get a straighter answer instead of a bunch of speculation.

- Somebody's pocketing an obscene "bonus" for making that endless project take way too damn long.

- The new center island in the road making it impossible to turn south out of the Arco station is a straight-up PITA.

- Those little "guard towers" will probably become permanent photo/radar gun emplacements. Another big plus.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top