Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone know what these are?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by iusmc2002, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

These are 30.06 rounds that I got from a neighbor. I have never seen rings like that on a cartridge before.

The green tips with silver ring reminds me of the incendiary rounds (I think thats what color the incendiaries are) for the .50 cal.
    I've never seen those color tips on a .30 cal projectile before. :huh:

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The green and white tip are frangible rounds - check the link here: http://cartridgecollectors.org/30-06intro/

the ringed one is a "gallery" round - not full power for short range, guarding, and indoor ranges that won't take full power rifle rounds. That appears to be "early m1906"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

The green tips are M22 frangible.

ETA: Do the others have primers? That looks like something they would do to a dummy round, but I have a clip of -06 dummys. It looks like a fluted rifle barrel. Dimples longways.

4. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

thats definitely a funky mark.. doesn't look like dummy flutings, but could be.

flute-cased dummies-

Dummy%20Rounds-side.JPG

5. iusmc2002

I have one of the dummy rounds also; its got a spent primer, lengthwise flutes and a hole drilled through the middle of the case. The ringed one has powder in it, and most of the rounds I got from him are reloads that he got on a trade and never fired, so god knows whats in them.
    The cannelured case has the silver bullet in it, just like in that link you posted, Swedish K. There are also several other loaded silver bullets like that. Do you think that means they were pulled from the Guard cartridge and reloaded? I'm going to pull apart the vast majority of the rounds I got from the neighbor, but I should keep the Frangible and the Guard cartidges together?

BTW, thats a pretty awesome page. Never thought .06 rounds would be collectible.

6. Swedish K

not sure if they were pulled bullets - often you can see the pull marks from the puller. I found that site a few days ago after recalling some "sniper" rounds that a friend showed me back in the 80's - the guy's dad was a sniper for the local swat team and he claimed that they were explosive rounds - green paint on tips. the best I can tell they were tracers. I tend to collect odd rounds when I find them - don't have that many but I do have some 9mm and .223 "paint ball" training rounds - they have a light plastic tip that split on impact and have either bright blue or bright pink paint in them. I got them from a training officer at CA Corrections. also have some rubber bullets. The 223 paint rounds required a special upper for use on ARs. I think they were given to the dept for testing in hopes that they would adopt them for training the CERT teams (prison version of swat) I know that they had talked about using them for marking the "bad guys" in yard riots but don't know if they ever tried it. I think the system was eclipsed by the use of the water cannons.

7. iusmc2002

The 5.56 SeSiMs do have a different upper, magazine and buffer depending on either the A4 or M4 rifle it is mounted on. I've never seen 5.56 paint rounds like you said, the only ones I've ever seen were 9mm. Not saying they aren't out there, just that I have personally never seen them. I tried to fire one through the M9, and then spent the next 30 minutes trying to beat it out of the chamber with a punch rod lol NOT successful. Still fun to shoot at the boots when they screw up hahahahaha

8. Swedish K

If I ever get my house built and unpack my cargo container I'll dig my examples out and you can take a look at them- you are about 10-15 min from me. I still remember arguing with one of the department guys that they had committed multiple felonies by shipping several 40 mm launchers across state lines for modification without filing a form 5320.20. They tried to say that it didn't apply to LE - even though the FBI and a company they were dealing with both got in hot water for shipping NFA items across state lines without proper paperwork. Even the govt doesn't know the rules and LE think it doesn't apply to them...

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Green tip 30-06 are frangible rounds made from compressed graphite and iron. These were used for aerial target paractice. Where guys shot at targets towed by an up armored aircraft. WASPs flew a lot of these boring target flights as they were better suited to the mundane chore then guys who would get bored and do stupid stuff with the aircraft. It was a safety thing.

I have about 20 of these rounds I bought on a lark at some gun show 20+ years ago.

10. iusmc2002

That would be cool. I'd like to see the .223 rounds. The 9mm sting like heck if you get hit anywhere other than the flak! You really knew you were hit, unlike the M.I.L.E.S. system that was essentially worthless.

My question, why would LEOs need 40mm launchers. Aren't most of the non-lethal rounds that LEOs use, 37mm? Since its hard to find HE rounds for a 37mm, that should be the size they are allowed to buy. Theres no reason for them to have to capability to fire those types of rounds. Now, don't get me wrong, I support LEOs 110%, but there has to be a limit to what they are used for. If an M203 is called for, its time to end the LEOs involvement and call in the military. My .02 cents