JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a new S&W Pro Series 9mm and it won't chamber reloads. The same loads I shoot in a Taurus 9mm and a Springfield 9mm with no problems. Most manufacturers taper the rifling in front of the chamber to accomodate a cast bullet that is a couple of thousands of an inch bigger than a FMJ but S&W doesn't do that. It's been back to S&W but they won't fix it so I'm looking for a 1911 smith in Oregon who can ream it out. Any suggestions?

I"m no expert but I think ur incorrect on this.
..every time i've run into a cast bullet that would not chameber ,the answer is to seat it deeper so the lip of the driving band does not hit the leading edge of the chamber.I"ve done it this way for years,and was advised to do so on several gun-related boards when I mentioned having the same problem you are.
i'd suggest ,before spending money,to go to this 1911 forum and ask questions in the reloading section.It's one of my favorite sites for info and discussions.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Seating the bullet deeper will increase the pressure and since the 9mm is already a high pressure cartridge I'm hesitant to do that. I'm loading a 125 gr cast bullet with 3.8 grs of Bullseye and seating to an OAL of 1.125". In order to chamber that round in the S&W I have to seat to an OAL of 1.010". According to QL, a program that predicts the characteristics of various loads, that cartridge generates a pressure of approx 21264 psi at 1.125". Reducing the length to 1.030" increases the pressure to about 33737 psi, near maximum. I don't even want to think about what the pressure would be at 1.010".

I'm loading for three 9mm's - the S&W, a Taurus, and a Springfield. The round chambers and functions perfectly in the Taurus and the Springfield so the problem is with the S&W. I want to be able to shoot the same load in any of the three 9's so reaming is the only viable solution. Also, I've posted this on a gunsmithing forum and the responses from professional 1911 gunsmiths is chamber was not adequately finish reamed by S&W.

Not southern Oregon area but Major Nyne (he changed names and I think is Shepard custom now- I linked someone else to him here the other day). Or the guy in Bend that does alot of the XD stuff also does 1911 work- Springer Precision maybe?

Ed Boening is a a good 1911 gunsmith, he very active in the Medford Rifle and Pistol club here in the Rogue Valley... Over by the old Bi-Mart head toward J-ville
Boening's Custom Guns
2608 W Main St, Medford, OR 97501
(541) 858-5066

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR