JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a conceal carry backpack that does not look too tactical. The backpack has to carry a laptop and two books. Preferably with side mesh-style pockets for a water bottle.

The closest thing I've found is the Camelbak Demon, but it's been discontinued for two years and they're going for $250-450 on ebay. Probably because of the image of CCW at school. The Maxpedition Falcon II is pretty tactical looking, but no side pockets. It's currently leading my search. And the Blackhawk Covert Carry Messenger bag's lightly velcroed concealed compartment is not covert enough. Anyone know of something out there? I'm not interested in the "day planner" type CCW things, only a pack. Thanks in advance.

If you call Lost Creek Armory in Bend (not sure the number, but it shouldn't be to hard to find online), the have a pack that should work. I don't have a photo and I'm not sure who makes it (I think it's local), as I've never had a need for this, but they have a pack that doesn't look too tacticool, but looks good for CCW...

(541) 389-4867
Great place to go, good folks behind the counter who I've seen tolerate morons, and help out people who are just starting to learn about firearms.

MountainBear, now that I've typed this all out... our OP is in WA... oh well, Lost Creek might have a pic/website of the pack, Bend/Redmond has some great products, I wouldn't be surprised if the backpacks were local.

Like a couple other CHL people I know, I use a fairly standard daypack.

The criteria for me is to have a smallish outer pocket, separate from the bigger compartments, so the pistol (and maybe a couple speed reloaders/magazines) will be the only thing in there. Last thing I need is to find myself confronted with a possible threat, do a quick rip and grab (which should be practiced like any other defensive maneuver), and come out brandishing a ham sammich.

I also show my squeeze where I keep any firearm I carry in case it suddenly becomes her responsibility to deploy it.

I like the Timbuk2 products and currently use one of their messenger bags with a padded TSA approved zippered laptop compartment in the back. The laptop rides in a padded sleeve in the compartment and there is plenty of room for a handgun of almost any size to ride within the same compartment but with a pad between it and the laptop. I like the idea of a messenger bag rather than a backpack because you can slide the bag around front and have access to your gun without being too obvious.

Timbuk 2 also has some good looking laptop backpacks that have outside accessable pockets that would hold a handgun.

You can find what you want on their website and then find someone on ebay that will sell it to you cheaper.

Go to REI, a columbia outlet, wallyworld, or any other sporting goods shop and see what they have to offer that might work. another option might be to check with Tactical Taylor up in your part of the state. As mentioned above camera or computer bags are often padded and will not readily print.
When I was commuting daily on motorcycle I often carried in my magnetic tank bag - while not a separate compartment the padded magnetic bottom of the bag kept the gun in a stable position regardless of bag orientation and it could be accessed by either opening the entire top of the bag or a single pull zipper that opened a reach in access spot.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Maxpedition.

My EDC pack is a maxpedition malaga. The pocket on the back is designed as a concealed carry pocket. I also use their "universal ccw holster" which velcros into place and holds the gun very well.
Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger Shoulder Sling Tactical Messenger Gear Bag

Originally I was looking for a new bag for my small laptop and a few accessories that I could comfortably carry on a daily basis, then if I wanted, Straight into the woods for a weekend of camping. I found it in this bag.

Most maxpedition bags have some place that's designed to hold a weapon. Also, these bags are TOUGH. I've put mine through hell for quite awhile now and it just keeps getting better.
It's expandable, customizable, and incredibly durable.
Maxpedition has earned a customer for life.

Here's a GIS picture. This is not me or my bag. I'm much younger and my bag is black with an abundance of zombie patches.
Maxpedition-Mag-3.jpg

Eagle Industries offers a modified A-III that is designed to carry an SBR. Also you might want to wander down to REI or a Ski Shop and look at the packs used to carry snowboards. The length of your AR is the issue and you might have to break it down.

Find a backpack/messenger bag you like with a convienent pocket to isolate the gun. Then get a holster for the gun and sew the holster into the pocket at a good draw angle. Now the gun (and TRIGGER) is protected, it will be a repeatable draw, and you've got the backpack you want that doesn't scream GUN BAG.

I recently picked up a North Face Surgre(not the newer Surge II) backpack to use as a laptop carrier for an upcoming trip. Really wasn't too worried about concealed carry but it has a nifty little pocket on the bottom that is the perfect size for a pistol. Nothing tactical about it. Looks like any other North Face backpack.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top