JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although Sigs are generally quite reliable, I'm just not a fan of the double/single action autos. I realize that this one is single action only, but it makes me wonder if Sig just doesn't know how to make decent single action autos. If this is an isolated case of one bad auto pistol, then I feel really bad for the owner. Sig is one of what anyone would call a "big name" firearms company, and for them to have problematic triggers isn't something I would expect from them.

But then I didn't expect to have to return two of the FN SPR A3G rifles as defective to FN. I never did get a working rifle, and after nearly two years of waiting (total time for both bad rifles) for another SPR A3G, I gave up and took some other FN products....that I sold.

I love my 238! Now you guys make me want to get the trigger tested to see what its at. Does Bruce Gray do work on this gun? I am planning on sending my P30 to him. Might as well throw that in too.

DrScoles,
Here is where I can say "Ask me how I know" about not fixing things that already work. In a number of decades of competitive shooting and working on firearms, I have learned:

1. Don't fix it if it works.
2. If it works pretty well already, my attempts to make it better will probably screw things up.
3. Excess pressure always finds a way out, and it is seldom cheap, safe, effective, or healthy. (be careful when reloading)
4. There are no good ideas the night before a good match.
5. "Fixing" (modifying) factory original parts usually ends up with me buying a second factory original part to replace the one that I "fixed".
6. Trigger jobs are best left to the professionals who have the jigs and experience doing it right.(refer to #1,2, and 5 above).
7. Buying cheap stuff in an attempt to save money almost always ends up costing more than if I had just bought the good stuff the first time....Buy right the first time, so the saying, "Buy right, cry once, buy wrong, cry twice", applies.

Update:

I removed the stock Sig hammer spring and replaced it with Wolff reduced power/20lb spring for a Colt Pony/Mustang. Had my trigger pull retested today on the same scale as all the others. After the spring swap the oull was 8.2-9.3 lbs :( The last test was around 7.2. after Sig worked on the trigger.
So I pulled out the Wolff spring and put the Sig spring back in. I think that will do it for this trigger at this time.
Thanks for all the input and advice.

Jim

If anyone wants an almost new Wolff reduced power/20lb spring for a Colt Pony/Mustang......$4.00 mailed to you.

Update,

I visited partsproduction (Glen) at his shop yesterday and he installed the new stainless trigger that I bought from him a couple of weeks ago. The process was pretty easy only requires the removal of the trigger pin which was very tight and the mag release. The trigger feel was much improved after the new trigger but it didn't change the actual trigger pull as I had it tested again today. So the next step was to install a different mainspring that I bought from Wolff Springs. The spring was originally designed for a Colt Pony or Mustang and has a lighter rating which may reduce the trigger pull further.
This swap was very easy only requiring removing the mainspring pin which just pushed right out. Also the safety had to be removed and the hammer then the mainspring will fall right out when the pistol is inverted. Would have been less than a ten minute job but I decided to polish out my hammer and also do a light cleaning/polish on the bottom of the hammer where it contacts the sear. I power polished the external parts of the hammer but only used a light hand polish with MAAS cream as the cuts are very sharp and I didn't want to damage anything here. Gave all removed parts and the sear area a cleaning and lube with Froglube and reassembled. I will have the trigger pull retested tomorrow and see if I got any closer to the 5lb pull that I was hoping for.

I had my local GS install one of partsproduction's stainless triggers and had much the same results as you did. The reason I had the stainless trigger installed was not because I had a particular issue with the trigger pull, even though I did consider it a little heavy, but because I just didn't like the idea of a plastic trigger on the pistol. I didn't really expect the trigger pull to improve with the new trigger, but it did. The trigger pull after installation of the stainless trigger was noticeable lighter and crisper.

I would recommend partsproduction's stainless trigger upgrade to anyone that has a Sig 238. It's an upgrade that is worth the money.

"I would recommend partsproduction's stainless trigger upgrade to anyone that has a Sig 238. It's an upgrade that is worth the money."

I agree :s0155:
Everyone that sees my 238 asks about the trigger. Just yesterday I emailed over Glen's contact info to MKTactical as their guys wanted the triggers for their personal 238s.

Jim

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads