Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone know how to anodize?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LuftPost, May 28, 2010.

1. LuftPost

LuftPost Seattle, WA Member

I'm trying to find someone who can do a mil-spec black anodization on some 6061 aluminum bar stock, small pieces (3.75"x1"x3/8"), but a bunch of em, for a better price than the shops around here in Seattle (~$375) or for trade.
    Anybody know anybody, or interested in helping out my little project?

(Admin, if this is the wrong spot for this, please relocate! thx)

2. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

best thing to do is to get a DIY kit, it will be verry hard to get that ar color, if thats what you're trying.

3. LuftPost

yea, i'll go that route as a last resort. i'm making a bunch of UBR strike plates (i'm tired of waiting on Magpul), which everyone here is entitled to first dibs of course, and was hoping to get an experienced anodization, rather than me, a novice anodizer.. figuring out the right dye is my only stumbling block right now, since the pros are so tight-lipped on what they use, but i hear clothing dye (like RIT) will work. I guess just gotta experiment with it first if nobody can help out.

4. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

pm sent-look under gunsmithing forum I posted a link

5. LuftPost

awesome, that link you posted told me exactly what I needed to know- RIT will work!