JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Used to be it wasn't too often I'd come across guns or gun manufacturers I'd never heard of before. Seems that's getting rarer and rarer these days :D

Extar Firearms USA

Between the size, weight, cost, and Glock mags that EP9 seems to check a lot of boxes.

Just got the EP9 today and ran about 350 rds of american eagle 115, 147, and a few hornady critical defense 115gr. Zero malfunctions of any sort which is consistent with all the reviews I've seen. Came with Jag magazine and I purchased an OEM glock 33 rd. No issues with either mag. Very light weight gun. I wish it had a folding brace but I'm not willing to pay for a law tactical adapter so beggars can't be choosers ha ha.

Put this $26 chinese red dot on it which worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...fm-20&linkId=536bd7fe86e52d574fddf3e030d76f90

thanks for the info.... the good reviews are piling up..... I am seriously thinking about picking one of these up....

You are very welcome. I think this gun is a good choice for lightweight, Glock mag compatible, low cost, and reliability. If one is looking for better build quality (i.e. more metal vs. polymer) or more refined performance then options such as Sig MPX, CMMG banshee, etc. are available at about a $1500 price point. I have not shot either of those two -or other higher-end ar pistols- but from reviews I have seen I would guess they may be "smoother shooters" in the sense of having less recoil and less of the "twang" from the buffer tube (because there isn't a buffer tube in some cases).

I think the EP9 would be equal to the higher end guns for reliability based on what I've seen and experienced so far. Reliability is the #1 factor for me. Also for me lightweight and low cost are huge factors. For the next person they may have different priorities.

FYI here is a video describing take down for cleaning (very easy). Skip to the 4:20 mark for takedown procedure:

And what I consider an essential video about how to mount/unmount the brace:

Last Edited:
FYI for those curious about size, here is a comparison with a mossberg 500 12 ga with 18 1/2" barrel and pistol grip. The brace is pushed almost all the way down in this pic but you can of course make it much longer if desired. I'm experimenting with different brace lengths just for fun. Easy to move it as per the video above. note that it is not movable on the fly like a tail hook mod 2 or similar brace is because it is extremely tight. I guess that is good though because it means it won't rotate.

58F003AC-63D8-49E5-AFA1-244F7C2701E5.jpeg

Last Edited:
Greetings folks, I have been looking at this and it is really an interesting firearm.. I read the manual, and it mentions refraining from using lubricants on it, and running it dry... can anyone plass on any info about this? sounds a bit odd.... also, in looking at the lack of a feed ramp, i wonder about running HP ammo, has anyone done that, and does it feed ok?

Re lube, I use the sig saur approach of only lubing what is shiny (shiny=some wear from friction). The reason being that oil can attract dirt/hold carbon residue etc. That may be part of the reason that extar says lube can "do more harm than good". I'm not saying that only oil what is shiny holds true for every firearm but for these modern ones that are designed to run without lube it seems to work well.

Anyway I took the ep9 new out of the box and wiped off the little pieces of styrofoam on the outside and immediately shot 350 rounds. Then on cleaning I could only find one surface on the bolt that was a tiny bit shiny (about 1/8" wide by 1/2" long). I expected to see a lot more shiny surfaces. So I lubed that tiny spot and that is all. That's just what I'm doing and others may choose a different approach and that is fine.

I usually put a coat of Boeshield on external metal, barrel etc then wipe off to leave a thin coat of paraffin for rust protection (boeshield excels at that) but this thing is mostly all plastic.

Fwiw the manufacturer says if you really feel u have to use lube then use a dry lube like ptfe (Teflon). I usually use DuPont krytox (about the most inert and resistant lube u can buy) which is not a dry lube but on such a small spot it's no big deal imo. Also I'm thinking about using some molybdenum disulfide for a gunlube (not for this gun) but probably will try that on a different gun first to see if it builds up/collects crud at all.

Last Edited:
I added a doctor micro dot, quick disconnect sling mount, and a wolf tail to it. Got it the way I want. I'll be testing it out this weekend.

View attachment 460658

That sling looks pretty slick. What's a wolf tail is that the little fob for single point sling mount? I ordered a nightstrike diamondback angled fore grip to try on it. Nice thing about starting so low price-wise on a gun like this is that there is room for a person to play around with accessories. Modern combat sports in California has it for $25. A pic of the nightstrike from eBay:

C420EB69-643E-49C9-839C-3D16863710C2.jpeg

Last Edited:
That sling looks pretty slick. What's a wolf tail is that the little fob for single point sling mount? I ordered a nightstrike diamondback angled fore grip to try on it. Nice thing about starting so low price-wise on a gun like this is that there is room for a person to play around with accessories. Modern combat sports in California has it for $25. A pic of the nightstrike from eBay:

View attachment 489148

Oh good addition. I will be getting one of those as well as be putting a light on it.

The more I see this guy the more I think it would be an excellent home defense gun over a handgun. Definitely less expensive too. All it really needs is a good flashlight that points fairly true.

I've done quite a bit of night shooting with flashlights, I really don't look at my sights much, just go off the brightest part of the light. Within 7 yards, I hit center mass close to 100% of the time.

I just received a cheap single point sling that I found on amazon for $12.99 which includes the tail thingamabobber and 2 quick release swivels. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JA9E7LY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

After researching to find out what the little loop in it was for, it looks to me like the sling is a carbon copy of the magpul ms4 sling, right down to the lettering even. Here is a pic. Can't decide yet whether I like it or not. No bungie on this sling. But the whole thing costs about the same as the Qd swivels alone.

81546B2C-2B8B-4727-A15D-2BF75DE0426E.jpeg

I just received a cheap single point sling that I found on amazon for $12.99 which includes the tail thingamabobber and 2 quick release swivels. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JA9E7LY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

After researching to find out what the little loop in it was for, it looks to me like the sling is a carbon copy of the magpul ms4 sling, right down to the lettering even. Here is a pic. Can't decide yet whether I like it or not. No bungie on this sling. But the whole thing costs about the same as the Qd swivels alone.

View attachment 489401

Good price but when it comes to firearms I strongly suggest everyone to buy american to keep our country's industry strong. Might cost some more money but it's well worth it.

The more I see this guy the more I think it would be an excellent home defense gun over a handgun. Definitely less expensive too. All it really needs is a good flashlight that points fairly true.

I've done quite a bit of night shooting with flashlights, I really don't look at my sights much, just go off the brightest part of the light. Within 7 yards, I hit center mass close to 100% of the time.

FYI I put this very inexpensive "1000 lumen" light on it at the 3 o'clock position which helps to keep it mostly out of the shooters vision and doesn't interfere with hand grip. For mounting I added a leftover piece of pic rail and the light came with the offset mount. I didn't use the pressure switch it came with.

Also a pic of the nightstrike foregrip. Nightstrike allows a really comfortable hold but I haven't shot with it on there yet.

Re home defense, I guess everyone has different preferences but I will say that this gun is easier to shoot accurately than my small sig p938 (really a carry gun more than home defense gun imo). For someone else they may be confident and proficient in a larger handgun, shotgun, or whatever and prefer that. It seems to me that for any gun to be in the conversation for home defense though it has to be almost absolutely reliable. And so far this extar seems to be that fwiw.

A158F7F3-8FB6-44FB-8896-608EC748DF9F.jpeg 5D2E3220-8714-4C31-84E1-50DE8AAC125C.jpeg

Last Edited:
I completely forgot about this thread! Shortly after starting it I gave in and ordered one, and since then it's quickly become one of my favorite guns. The people who've shot mine have said the same. The combination of low weight, low recoil, and familiar ergonomics make it incredibly enjoyable to shoot. I've never had a malfunction of any kind. Unfortunately I haven't shot an MPX or Scorpion so I can't compare. I got in on the $419 deal but I'd still feel the same if I paid twice that.

This was my thought exactly. I'm hesitant since it's so new to market and my not having put many rounds through it yet, but I have a feeling we have a winner here.

I completely forgot about this thread! Shortly after starting it I gave in and ordered one, and since then it's quickly become one of my favorite guns. The people who've shot mine have said the same. The combination of low weight, low recoil, and familiar ergonomics make it incredibly enjoyable to shoot. I've never had a malfunction of any kind. Unfortunately I haven't shot an MPX or Scorpion so I can't compare. I got in on the $419 deal but I'd still feel the same if I paid twice that.

This was my thought exactly. I'm hesitant since it's so new to market and my not having put many rounds through it yet, but I have a feeling we have a winner here.
Having bought a Gen1 Sub2000 several years ago for way more than it's now worth, I'm tempted to sell it to make room in the safe since I never shoot it anymore. Ironically, it will probably only fetch about enough to buy one of these. On the plus side I could use the big Glock mags that I bought for the KelTek in the Extar. They look a little silly in my G26. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top