JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you guys happen to know of a real good horsepacking instructor or guide?

Doesn't have to be a professional who is actively working at a horse packing school, but could be a retired or semi-retired trail master. Maybe someone out of work who'd like to make some extra change this summer by doing some instruction.

Any leads are much appreciated.

Thanks toys, yeah I've been googling all day and there are a couple full-on schools that you can go to and learn what you need. But I'm really thinking the best option would be to find an old hand who just knows his stuff and would like to make some extra cash. I'm not a big fan of "schools." It might come to that though. I'll go back and check Medford out more. Thanks.

the "classes" i speak of are more like a "clinic".

If youre in the Eugene area they have this "NW Mountain Trail Springs CHallenge" where they setup an obsitcle course in the OHC. ive never been to it, but from the pics ive seen its a hoot since they haul in alot of things like trees, boulders, logs and such to make an indoor trail course for horse/rider. they even make a walk thru water fall and other water courses. iirc, they do it 2x per year? but i would bet that you could find some pakers in the bunch.

you can check with the US Forest Service too since they still use pack animals. the only thing i think could be a problem is that i bet they are in the NE oregon area.

take a look here

<broken link removed>

also, if that doesnt work try contacting:

Oregon Equestirian Trail. There is also a Washington verison. they may know of someone or can direct you.

We ride backcountry a bit, but most of the folks I know are up here. Wichaka here is a back country guide I think and can probably point you in the right direction if you tell him what you are looking for. I have not seen him for a few days so he is probably out riding in the Gifford Pinchot NF now or something. I don't understand if you want to learn to ride, get a horse trail-broke, or if you specifically need info about rigging and managing a pack train?

For the first two, the best trail-riding instructor I personally know is Lynn Omohundro. His family has a couple of hundred acres out past Pendleton in Summerville called Rafter Z Ranch and have been at it for generations. In our breed, he is the reigning Canadian national champion in trail riding and has one some US titles to as a rider and breeder. He can give lessons to riders or he can board and train horses, not sure which you are looking for. He specializes now in Peruvian horses, but he can ride and train anything from what I understand. He is good; I've seen him in action and ridden with him. Here's a newspaper article I just found by googling (I don't think they have a web site):

<broken link removed>

Another place to get started is your state Backcountry Horsemen's association. Yours would be called, oddly enough, Backcountry Horsemen of Oregon:

http://www.bcho.org/

I work with a fella who's a carpenter, but he's got a whole bunch of mules and loves packing 'em. He's down here on the central coast.

let me know if you'd like to get in touch with him. -Craig

I can try contacting a fellow I know in Beavercreek. He used to be a forest ranger in the Mt Jefferson and Three Sisters wilderness areas for years. He took my Bro-in-law under his wing some years back and still gets out quite a bit with his mules. His wife says he is retired(!), but he still manages to get some side work in. For a select few people he still makes tack and accessories. As a matter of fact I need him to make me a set of chinks. If he's interested I'll pass his info along. One of the best in the business in his prime, and one heck of a saddlemaker to boot.

Me thinks ma ears are a burnin!

Can help you out. Check out my web site troutlakepackstation.com
its going thru some changes, so all the pages may not load.

I think the link to the email is messed up as well, unless my web person got that fixed. Anyway, there's some contact info on there, can help you out if need be!

Never loved this website more. Thanks for the help guys. I just got to reading all this now, so give me some time to get situated and I'm gonna follow up with each of these suggestions. Again, Thank You!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top