JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Utah is good in a number of States but I'm still looking for the Minnesota License because it is not covered. At least it wasn't the last time I looked.

I live in Vancouver, WA now but when I did live north in Renton I applied for an OR CHL in Columbia County, OR. Made an appointment online, stopped by for fingerprints and pictures, received CHL in about a month as near as I recall. Strange as it sounds taking the online course offered by the DC Metro PD was acceptable at the time. A couple of nice letters from friends who'd share a foxhole if that day ever comes was good enough. Finally, what I think is a good reason for wanting a CHL in Oregon; I'm there very often.

First, choose your application office wisely. Multnomah is Fuhgeddaboutit, but I thought one or two were starting to set up booths and take apps at WAC shows...
I had no issues with Multnomah. In and out of my appointment in less than 7 minutes and permit in the mail in exactly 4 weeks. Heck, my "references" were not even from OR.

When I was a Washington resident I got my Oregon through Columbia County/St Helens. When I moved to Idaho I got a hold of them and requested my address be updated to reflect my new Idaho address and was informed that they do not issue for Idaho and recommended I get in touch with someone on the east side of the state.

Kind of a bummer

I had no issues with Multnomah. In and out of my appointment in less than 7 minutes and permit in the mail in exactly 4 weeks. Heck, my "references" were not even from OR.

I know there is a place on the application form to supply references, but the law does not require you to provide references:

ORS166.291 says
Before the sheriff may issue a license:

(a)The application must state the applicant's legal name, current address and telephone number, date and place of birth, hair and eye color and height and weight. The application must also list the applicant's residence address or addresses for the previous three years. The application must contain a statement by the applicant that the applicant meets the requirements of subsection (1) of this section. The application may include the Social Security number of the applicant if the applicant voluntarily provides this number. The application must be signed by the applicant.

Hey guys and gals, I want to get my Oregon CHL. I travel down to Albany to see my mom all the time, and frankly I am sick of locking my pistol in the lock box I have bolted in my trunk. What are the chances of obtaining an out of state issued CHL from Oregon. I've had my Washington CPL for I think 5 or 6 years, and no issues at all legally since, not even a speeding ticket. I set up a profile on the CHL site but I saw on the disclaimer that even if I pass and pay, I could get denied. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated! Let me know what you all think and know. Thanks guys.
View attachment 387130
I got my On
Hey guys and gals, I want to get my Oregon CHL. I travel down to Albany to see my mom all the time, and frankly I am sick of locking my pistol in the lock box I have bolted in my trunk. What are the chances of obtaining an out of state issued CHL from Oregon. I've had my Washington CPL for I think 5 or 6 years, and no issues at all legally since, not even a speeding ticket. I set up a profile on the CHL site but I saw on the disclaimer that even if I pass and pay, I could get denied. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated! Let me know what you all think and know. Thanks guys.
View attachment 387130
I got mine earlier this year. I had no trouble getting it. But I also read that they were only doing Oregon residence. Might call and find out if they are doing Washington people now.

Columbia county just sent me a reminder in the mail that I need to renew. It would seem they encourage CC and have no problem issueing to us neighboring staters.
Good county!

I recently got my Oregon permit in Columbia county, one of only two Oregon counties issuing licenses to border state carriers. ( multmomah) I had a great experience at the sheriffs office in saint helens. It only took a week to get my permit and the ladies were friendly and helpful.

They ask for two personal references and a reason to carry in there county. "Driving thru isn't a good reason"

I spend a lot of time in Columbia county for recreation. That is what I wrote in my letter explaining why I wanted a permit for that county. (And Oregon)

Just to update. My appointment was the mos painless ever! Arrived 5 min before appointment time. They brought me back in a couple minutes and I was done in <15 min overall. Very friendly at the Sheriffs department from the front desk to the back of the house fingerprinters. Now clocking the time for permit to arrive.
Even clarified the paper they gave me was not a temp permit and not to carry yet to make sure no misunderstanding get anyone in trouble.
Kudos Oregon and Multnohma.

I may be a little late but I am a Washington resident who just got his Oregon permit. I know a lot of people have bad things to say about the Multnomah county sheriffs office but for me it was pretty easy. I'm 22 so I kinda figured there was a chance of being turned down based on that but it went smooth. Also, I took an online course to meet the "classroom" requirement. I took a hunters ed course a long time ago but it would have been too much of a hassle to go through and get the certification sent to me. Either I would go to the sheriffs office that is most convenient.

Step one print off the application on the website

Step two send it in.

Step three you'll get an email telling you when you need to go to the appointment (kinda annoying)

Step four show up and the rest is the exact same as Washington.

As for reason for wanting the weapons permit every one I have talked to put down self defense but adding that you drive to see your mom regularly wont hurt. Hope that helps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top