JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been considering getting some stippling done on a couple polymer framed handguns. I had the grip of my XD stippled by Springer Precision in Bend but that was in addition to some other work he was doing on the gun.

It would be cost prohibitive for me to have to overnight a gun there and back if I just wanted stippling done.

I know stippling is something that someone can do by themselves with a soldering iron but I'm too cowardly to try it on my own for fear of screwing up my gun.

Would be great if I could find someone within driving distance so I didn't have to ship that could do stippling in this treebark looking texture.

M_P_c_coyote_side-450x298.jpg

M_P_cocking_serrations_crop-466x300.jpg

Does Mike have his FFL yet?

SF-

I don't but... Erik and Black Rifle Company in Clackamas, OR and I are teaming up to do coatings and frame work. He is an FFL and I am going to be able to have folks bring guns by or ship them so I can work on them and then they pick up or we mail/UPS them back when done.

Here's a couple I've done:

HK91 grip reduction and stipple:

IMG_2488-2.jpg
IMG_2484-2.jpg

Cavalry Arms polymer lower, shorten LOP, fabricate new butt pad, undercut trigger guard, grip reduction, grip and magwell stipple, then CeraKote OD:

IMG_2005-arf.jpg
IMG_2011-arf.jpg
IMG_2009-arf.jpg
IMG_2607-2.jpg

Glock 21SF grip reduction, TG under cut & rounded, finger groove removal, back strap filled, full stipple:

IMG_1889-3.jpg
IMG_1882-3.jpg

HK USP 40 light grip reduction and stipple to get rid of the factory checkering on the front and back straps:

IMG_2417-2.jpg
IMG_2416-2.jpg

There's more I just ran out of space in this post! I am running to the shop to do some CeraKote for a friend and when I return today I'll post some more pics, partake in the discussion and answer any and all questions regarding turn around time, pricing, difficulty, etc. :s0155:

Mike do you think you'd be able to do that treebark looking texture in the first couple pics I posted.

I know any stippling will improve grip...the stippling Springer Precision did on my XD looks very similar to the USP 40 you posted....I'm just really a fan of how the treebark pattern (those two pics are from Bowie Tactical) looks.

Mike do you think you'd be able to do that treebark looking texture in the first couple pics I posted.

I know any stippling will improve grip...the stippling Springer Precision did on my XD looks very similar to the USP 40 you posted....I'm just really a fan of how the treebark pattern (those two pics are from Bowie Tactical) looks.

I too, like the tree bark look. I'm confident that I could get it to turn out nicely, just need to make a better tool that the last one I used for that effect. It took too long before.

They do all improve grip, some better than others, though. I tend to leave the jobs a little rough, unless the frame is getting coated after the fact, and let the customer "tune" the stippling with fine sand paper to their liking.

Looks Awesome Mike!!!!

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction.

SF-

Thanks dude!! Things are moving along, finally and I'm excited to work with BRC and get something going down there. I'll basically be working as a sub contractor out of his shop with the guns staying on site until picked up or shipped out and logged out of the bound book.

I'm really excited!!

Here's a couple more pics of the G21 SF during the reduction process before final sanding, filling and stippling.

View attachment 195888
IMG_1731-2.jpg

My G19 after finger groove removal, trigger guard under cutting & rounding, full grip reduction, mag well beveling and stippling:
IMG_1691.jpg

A2 grip reduction that has also been shortened, had the finger bumps removed and stippled:
IMG_1693.jpg

I too, like the tree bark look. I'm confident that I could get it to turn out nicely, just need to make a better tool that the last one I used for that effect. It took too long before.

They do all improve grip, some better than others, though. I tend to leave the jobs a little rough, unless the frame is getting coated after the fact, and let the customer "tune" the stippling with fine sand paper to their liking.

Good news...I guess when you think you've got a tool made that could do the treebark pattern efficiently, if you could contact me at [email protected] that'd be great.

Good news...I guess when you think you've got a tool made that could do the treebark pattern efficiently, if you could contact me at [email protected] that'd be great.

I'm working on some tools to give the pattern you like. Should be done before the new year as long as time permits. I've been building some holsters lately and doing more coatings so that has taken priority, at least for the past week or so.

I will be in touch and for anyone else interested in polymer frame work, just ask! :s0155:

-Mike

I'm working on some tools to give the pattern you like. Should be done before the new year as long as time permits. I've been building some holsters lately and doing more coatings so that has taken priority, at least for the past week or so.

I will be in touch and for anyone else interested in polymer frame work, just ask! :s0155:

-Mike

Just wondering if you were able to get those tools made? My slide is currently at another gunsmith getting work done (and won't likely be back till 3 or so weeks) so now would be a good time to get the frame stippled if you have the time to do it.

Just wondering if you were able to get those tools made? My slide is currently at another gunsmith getting work done (and won't likely be back till 3 or so weeks) so now would be a good time to get the frame stippled if you have the time to do it.

I'm liking the tool I worked up as it's giving me consistent results. SHOT Show is next Tues-Friday and this week is filled with getting all the items I'm taking with me done. I won't be able to accept new work until after I'm back. I return from Las Vegas on Saturday, will need a day to recoup and then back in the shop Monday the 24th.

Will that work for you? I'll probably just have you come right up to Black Rifle Company in Clackamas so we can discuss exactly what you want done, log the frame into the bound book and discuss time frame. Hope that will work for you and thanks for your patience!

What are you having done to your slide?

Yeah that timeframe works just fine for me.

I work at PDX and commute south along I205 so stopping by your shop in Clackamas would be really convenient for me as well. I'll contact you monday the 24th, I get off work at 4pm and could stop by your shop around 4:30 any day that week....whichever's most convenient for you.

For the slide I'm have a Leupold Deltapoint milled into it as well as getting it refinished in OD Green. Hoping to get it back by early February.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of stuff you've tested the new tool on do you?

If not no big deal.

Look forward to meeting with you and have fun at SHOT.....I'm very jealous.

Awesome! Who is doing the milling work and what do they charge? Glock slides are about 64 rockwell, they are tough to machine! I'm looking to get a G19 slide cut for my JPoint down the road, that's why I ask.

I don't have any pics handy but it will look similar to the Bowie type. I'll have an example by the time we get together for you to check out.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm finally looking forward to SHOT as the stress level of getting everything done before I leave is finally settling down!

I'm having OneSourceTactical do the milling work.

<broken link removed>

They do Glocks, M&P's and XD's.....I know for the glocks they offer aftermarket slides with the reddot mounted so you can swap from a stock gun to the reddot easily.

Price for just the milling work is $235 and then they have a couple other options you can add on.

I thought of going with Bowie who's prices are similar (since I could have him do the frame stippling at the same time) but his turnaround time is longer and I wanted to avoid paying the FedEx overnight charges of sending the frame out and back.

planning on stopping by today around 4:30. Just to confirm the address is 15140 SE 82nd suite 350 right? If that's wrong or if you're not going to be there at 4:30 let me know. Thanks,
Cory

Correct address but not a retail store. Office and machines to make the rifles there. At this point, everything is by appointment only. Please call me so we can schedule a time to meet there.

Mike 503.819.6166

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads