JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I've been reloading with a progressive reloader for a few years now and I decided that I wanted to hand load some .308 for hunting. I set up my single stage RCBS Rockchucker and for the life of me cant figure out how to adjust and resize the head correctly. I've tried and tried and have used to forums to try and figure it out.

Is there anyone in the South King County area willing to help me out? Maybe check my setup and make sure I'm doing it correctly? Id throw in a case of beer for their time!

Thanks for reading.

Jimmy

"Here is how to adjust the resizing die to full length resize cases. First, run the ram to the top of the reloading press stroke with the proper shell holder installed. Second, screw the resizing die into the press until it stops against the elevated shell holder. Third, all play must be removed from the system. To do this, lower the ram and turn the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn farther into the press. Check the adjustment by returning the shell holder to the top of its stroke--you should feel the press cam over center. Now set the large lock ring and your die is adjusted to properly full length resize cases."

How to Adjust Reloading Dies

You'll likely have to trim them after sizing.. check the length of the case after sizing. Good luck.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
That'll be one bottle of Spaten Optimator.

Jimmy, do you own a reloading manual? If not, get thee out to your LGS and buy one. Then put on a pot of coffee, or other favorite non-alcoholic beverage ('cause you gotta focus, son!) and read it cover to cover. Then read it again. You tube can be very helpful, and the folks here can be as well. Once you get it figured out you will have started down a path of pleasure and addiction, just a fair warning.

Hey guys,

I've been reloading with a progressive reloader for a few years now and I decided that I wanted to hand load some .308 for hunting. I set up my single stage RCBS Rockchucker and for the life of me cant figure out how to adjust and resize the head correctly. I've tried and tried and have used to forums to try and figure it out.

Is there anyone in the South King County area willing to help me out? Maybe check my setup and make sure I'm doing it correctly? Id throw in a case of beer for their time!

Thanks for reading.

Jimmy

i'll bet money you are not screwing the resizing die down far enough.

raise the ram, lower the die snug against the shellholder. lower the ram, and then put an _additional_ 1/8 turn on the die. see if your cases pass the case gauge. add an additional 1/8 turn at a time until they fit. depending on your press you may have to put up to an additional 1/2 turn on a die _past_ 'snug against the shellholder'.

Hey Guys,

I am having problems resizing. Most often I am getting crushed casings that I've had to on multiple occasions thread and pull out of my die. I've read the books and checked out the you tube videos and am 99% sure I have it installed correctly. I will give it a go tomorrow with your guys' suggestions and keep you posted. Thank you for all of the feedback!

agreed - if you don't use enough lube they will get stuck, on the flip side, too much lube and you can end up with deformed cases (remember basic physics, fluid does not compress) though I think that it takes quiet a bit of lube to cause problems. If you have been over lubing you might want to clean the die to remove any excess lube.

The case mouth (inside) needs a bit of lube also. Everybody does it differently and with their favorite stuff but I'll use my left hand to handle the cases and lube them while sizing. I use any number of things that all seem to work perfectly.
These all have the roughly the same consistency of name brand case lube (non-spray).. put about a 3/16" dot on your left hand, work it around with your left thumb and fingers and then pick up a case and roll/slide it around while wiping your left thumb over the mouth of the case. You'll know you have the right amount of lube by the sound it makes while sizing and the amount of force required to size it.. also the lack of buckled shoulders (this will happen if you use too much lube.
A little bit of lube goes a very long way and you'll find out how often you have to "recharge" your hand with lube.
Anyway, good luck.. perhaps check out some Utoob vids on case lubing/sizing.
Your dies are for standard full length sizing, correct?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top