JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was my first time out and I drove over to Christmas Valley yesterday thinking I might raise a sage rat or two. I had to cancel the motel stay because I could not find the rats out. I think I'm way too early. The alfalfa has been cut and just the stubble out. It's just too cold right now and the alfalfa needs to grow a bit? That is a long way to go over in one day. Maybe in a month or so? Also I'm wondering if heading south/east might be better in the early part of the year. Just confused here. Maybe someone would meet me at a coffee shop and we could talk about it. I'm buying.

Yes, just too early. I am so surprised that I never see rabbits on the unfarmed parts. In New Mexico, jack rabbits would be everywhere. Just different country I guess.

I'd don't bother with rats unless the forecast is sunny and no cold wind. I've killed plenty in March and April but I also prefer the longer days after daylight savings kicks in. Good luck

Fields have not been cut yet. Grass just starting to grow at this point. The first cutting usually occurs late May and early June.

I go the first forecasted sunny days in April. First or second week usually. Keep an eye on the weather and head to the fields right when the weather breaks with 3-4 days of high pressure in the forecast. Best hunting occurs on those days when the temps first hit 65-70 degrees, at least for me. Once the temps get higher, the grass has grown so much you can't see the rats any more. The window for hunting can be pretty narrow.

I will say my last trip through Christmas Valley didn't reveal many sage rats in any of the fields except one or two. Could have been a off day...not sure but it wasn't promising. I now go farther east to hunt.

Monday was a sunny day but not very warm. Still, if there were rats, they should have been making an appearance. However if there was wind, that will drive them down. On days like Monday, you have to be in the fields early, before the wind comes up.

I think I talked to you about a Leupold Competition scope one time...did you ever sell it?

I too think that the weather is throwing it off. We had a couple false starts but I suspect in a couple weeks we'll start seeing action. I'm going to start planning some weekend trips for ground squirrels and coyotes. I saw several coyotes in Pendleton last month all on private property. I have yet to look but I suspect there isn't much public lands in that area unfortunately.

I will say my last trip through Christmas Valley didn't reveal many sage rats in any of the fields except one or two. Could have been a off day...not sure but it wasn't promising. I now go farther east to hunt.

Yeah, this is true, squirrels are on the decline in X-mas Valley/Fort Rock area. Best bet is to move on, east, north, south, pretty much any area is better than X-mas valley. Nothing to see here folks, move along....

:rolleyes:

Yeah, this is true, squirrels are on the decline in X-mas Valley/Fort Rock area. Best bet is to move on, east, north, south, pretty much any area is better than X-mas valley. Nothing to see here folks, move along....

:rolleyes:
You know that at one point you could hunt rabbits in Oregon? It's the coyotes killing everything... damn coyotes killing the bison, rabbits, bear, deer, and now the ground squirrels in x-mas valley!

You know that at one point you could hunt rabbits in Oregon? It's the coyotes killing everything... damn coyotes killing the bison, rabbits, bear, deer, and now the ground squirrels in x-mas valley!

Definitely a conspiracy. I'm thinking there's a lib think tank out in the desert breeding up bunches of those Yote's and siccing them on the game and varmints so us gun toting knuckleheads don't have an 'excuse' to keep our guns around. They'll stop @ nothing I tell ya.............

Definitely a conspiracy. I'm thinking there's a lib think tank out in the desert breeding up bunches of those Yote's and siccing them on the game and varmints so us gun toting knuckleheads don't have an 'excuse' to keep our guns around. They'll stop @ nothing I tell ya.............
I think the moderator should delete the above comment. In case this speculation isn't a reality, if the libs hear that idea it will become a reality. What's more important is untreated hand wounds from car door slams, it effects more people in the suburban communities then ... a lot of other things. It's an under reported epidemic that needs awareness.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top