JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Those are our possible routes if we have to get out of Reno to CDA or W Montana. I know roads will most likely be blocked coming into towns. Looking for names to drop so we can get through safely, and not be seen as a threat.

Is this silly of me? Should we not even bother trying?

We're hoping to get through before things get crazy, but I know a lot of people in the region will see the "crazy" as soon as I do. We have offroad vehicles, but there are a lot of bridges to cross and much of the 95 runs through the canyon, with no way to stay off the highway.

I'm heading up the 93 tomorrow and down the 95 in two weeks to visit family and conduct recon ;)

We're also looking at alternate routes offroad, but it would be faster, of course, to just take the highway.

Thanks. I'm certainly going to need it. It's a long way to go, but it certainly won't be safe here. Bugging in is not really an option.

So I was out your way last month, drove into Reno to check it out for the first time... yea, not a place I would want to be caught.

My suggestion... head south and east. I found a little place called the Smith Valley, it's along the walker river (which eventually flows into walker lake near Hawthorne). it's a pretty area, plenty of water, and its quite agricultural. If you stay on the major highways you'd probably never know it was there. I found it quite by accident. You might look into the "Walker River Resort" it seems to be a place for snow-birds and has a large RV park with a transient population, but it seems like they offer memberships. It might be a decent place to "weather the storm". I would avoid Shurz though, it's a large indian reservation to the east, and off the main highway. They kinda seemed like the types who would not be too friendly to the white man if SHTF.

OP, whether it is "silly" of you or not depends on what sort of situation(s) you are prepping for. I suggest reading "One Second After" to get an idea of how welcome "outsiders" will be in a serious SHTF scenario. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that part of prepping is being objective about the types of scenarios you think you really have a chance of surviving. For instance, living in Reno, a scenario you could perhaps realistically survive would be a huge quake in the SFO area that ultimately causes a literal human wave of refugees heading up I-80. OTOH, what about if some crazies open some "canned sunshine" in the atmosphere above SFO or Seattle? I think we'd all be pretty messed-up in that scenario.

If this is your only plan, and you expect to stick to it, you may want to consider looking for / finding areas along the way to store supplies, identify Rally points, egress points, alternate routes on and off your main route etc. things like that.

So I was out your way last month, drove into Reno to check it out for the first time... yea, not a place I would want to be caught.

My suggestion... head south and east. I found a little place called the Smith Valley, it's along the walker river (which eventually flows into walker lake near Hawthorne). it's a pretty area, plenty of water, and its quite agricultural. If you stay on the major highways you'd probably never know it was there. I found it quite by accident. You might look into the "Walker River Resort" it seems to be a place for snow-birds and has a large RV park with a transient population, but it seems like they offer memberships. It might be a decent place to "weather the storm". I would avoid Shurz though, it's a large indian reservation to the east, and off the main highway. They kinda seemed like the types who would not be too friendly to the white man if SHTF.

We've been through that area a lot. I don't think it's wise for us to try to camp out where we aren't super familiar with the area. Walker River is nearly dry if it is not completely dry where it meets the lake. The lake is saline and drying up, but yes, it's pretty farmland north of there. Well water is shallow there, as it is here. Our well is 30 feet deep with water at 12.

OP, whether it is "silly" of you or not depends on what sort of situation(s) you are prepping for. I suggest reading "One Second After" to get an idea of how welcome "outsiders" will be in a serious SHTF scenario. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that part of prepping is being objective about the types of scenarios you think you really have a chance of surviving. For instance, living in Reno, a scenario you could perhaps realistically survive would be a huge quake in the SFO area that ultimately causes a literal human wave of refugees heading up I-80. OTOH, what about if some crazies open some "canned sunshine" in the atmosphere above SFO or Seattle? I think we'd all be pretty messed-up in that scenario.

I've read all of those books and get it. The Gong Home series, 77 Days in September, Patriots, OSA and sequel, Lights Out, Alpha Farm, etc. I don't want to move into some random community. Currently storing preps at my moms in N Idaho and am just trying to secure a way to get there safely if needed.

We would definitely be screwed with that "canned sunshine". We have a '73 Chevy 4x4 with gas stored, but not enough to get up there without siphoning it from stalled vehicles.

Last Edited:
If this is your only plan, and you expect to stick to it, you may want to consider looking for / finding areas along the way to store supplies, identify Rally points, egress points, alternate routes on and off your main route etc. things like that.

It's not the only plan, just the most desired. We also have alternate routes planned. There is no way to avoid crossing the Snake, though.

Trust me, I know some Schurz Indians. They can be bad for sure. Take a look at this one.

She's 18 now and only a 1/4 Schurz Paiute. Don't want her going on the war path though. Her little sister is a mean indian too. Look what she did to this poor deer:

:p

0822111938a.jpg 0324121511.jpg

Maybe I've read too many works of fiction regarding shtf . Am I the only one who has thought that by getting names and gaining trust that she's actually planning on murdering people and stealing their preps in order to survive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top