JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My boys and I have done this several years, especially bird hunting! Many places are gated and have a non motorized access rule, or a rule of nothing bigger then an ATV! SO we hitch up a couple of cheep game carts and worked our way in! Some of these places can be several miles back. In areas where it's ATV or smaller, I use my Tracked ATV with the large all purpose cart and motor in, in some cases more then 10 miles! We see more and more gates and limited access, and there is a quiet push to curtail hunting period! Seems to me that more and more hunters might want to look into alternate means to hunt with so many areas seeing limits to access! Seems the days where you could tow in a travel trailer and set up camp are all but gone, and with the ATV or smaller rules, even a WW2 Jeep is a no go! I have already noticed a large increase in the numbers of two seat side by sides up on the roads, this is prolly the future!
Or where you do find sites like you described to set up camp the location turns out to be a bust because at first light those that must feel extra lucky start bombing up and down the roads in their trucks and push everything out. My favorites are the ones that feel the need to check you out across the way through their rifle scope. Not great hunters in my opinion.

That is how we have always used our horses. We seldom shoot game from the horse but use it to get us, gear, and killed game in and out. Have you seen the Quiet Cat electric off road vehicles......very cool....I have been tempted to try one out with my bad heart. One of my son's is a world class mountain biker but he is always traveling at Mach 2, he will do 20 miles a day with thousands of feet of elevation change.
I wonder if they would consider that a motorized vehicle? They have plenty of range.

avid mt biker for years here....

Id say anyone interested in hunting from mt bike simply try riding them out in the mountains first. Yes, bicycles are an efficient means of travel but that doesnt mean its easy if your not a regular cyclist and mt biking is no where near like road biking.

I was hunting up around Hoodoo and lined up on a moving deer when out of no where these mountain bike riders rolled right in between me and a buck. My opinion is they should stay out of the woods in hunting season as they move so fast it's not safe.o_O

keep in mind its illegal to shoot from or across any and all trails.

years ago I was mt biking on a trail and came upon a bowhunter watching a few deer. he was pissed and I even tried to stop and get low but the deer spooked. Reality was, he picked literally the most popular trail for mt biking to walk and hunt from o_O. It wasn't just me, there must have been dozens of riders out that day and probably one of the most popular mtb trails on Hood. There is so many places to hunt from than high use recreation areas, especially trails open to bikes. We do need to share the forest with other users its not just mt bikers.

keep in mind its illegal to shoot from or across any and all trails.

years ago I was mt biking on a trail and came upon a bowhunter watching a few deer. he was pissed and I even tried to stop and get low but the deer spooked. Reality was, he picked literally the most popular trail for mt biking to walk and hunt from o_O. It wasn't just me, there must have been dozens of riders out that day and probably one of the most popular mtb trails on Hood. There is so many places to hunt from than high use recreation areas, especially trails open to bikes. We do need to share the forest with other users its not just mt bikers.
In Idaho, the only places you can't shoot across or from is a "government maintained road" trails and other roads are totally legal.

I did do it accidentally like 25 years ago Had a beater Wally World 18 speed big tire junker bike. Had my Yellow Lab named Goldie. Actually had a hunting license. It was actually during Grey Tree Squirrel season. We had to hike some distance to get to a neck of the woods.

Since it seemed at the time too far to walk I grabbed my small back pack filled with needful things, my shotgun, my dog and the aforementioned bike and we biked about 2 miles to our secret public land legal area hunting location. Goldie tagged along. She enjoyed hunting.

Used game trails. Went very slow. Scouting all the while. Goldie better at it than me. Extremely quiet. It is significant in SW OR USA that when your dog is barking up the wrong tree, because she is. The squirrels jump. I would get two for me. One for her. Great memories. Dinner.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top