JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been hunting Starkey for almost 30 yrs.
Used to get a lot of snow back in the day. Last several years the weather has been pretty mild. Gets into the high teens, low 20's at night. Have had hanging elk freeze solid, and have been worried about the meat spoiling from being too warm.
I've hunted in shorts, tennis shoes, and a t-shirt, and have been so cold that I've had to start a fire and put hand warmers in my boots to keep warm.
It doesn't typically rain for long periods, but I have gotten soaked a few times.
I'd pack a little of everything, It will be cold in the mornings, mild in the afternoon, and like v0lcom said, we could get rain/snow. About due for a good snow up there. It's been about 4 years or so where we got any significant snowfall during elk season. But it also depends on where your hunting in the unit. We camp at about 4200 ft and hunt up to 5500 ft or so.

Two years ago we left early because there was a bad storm coming in, plus we had some stuff going on at home that needed attention. About a foot of snow and temps in the teens. Wish we would have stayed... The elk came down and were everywhere.

We were hunting the south side near North Powder.

Thank you all for the input, the only weather data I could find was from La Grande. The weather seemed to be about what I expected. Last time we went Elk hunting we were at 5800 feet in the Ochoco's and got about a foot and a half before we bugged out to lower elevations. We didn't see any animals that week. It was a good time, but the fruitless hours and miles really wore on us.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top