JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've gotten rather bored with my usual workout routine. You can only mix it up so much over the years before it gets kind of boring.

Any creative unusual ideas on how to "trick" a workout?

What type of training do you do..weights, machines, cardio?

I exercise regularly, but don't have a set routine. I generally train for strength with free weights, but when I feel my body get in a rut, I'll lay off the weights for a week and jump rope, or do nothing but various doorway pullups and handstand pushups, etc. Massive reps of deep knee bends is a heck of a way to build up some leg strength if you get tired of squats, leg extensions, etc. Sometimes I'll blast the same body part for two or three days instead of the normal circuit training.

As much as I train, I really don't enjoy it. I always listen to political talk on the radio when I do, as the nonsense I hear going on in the world is enough to keep me entertained while exercising.

Keith

Depending on age and fitness - workouts can vary
We are 60 - Most of the exercise my wife did to loose about 75 lbs each was simple walking. Walk 2-3 mi / day. Preferrably up and down a hill. Then go out on days off and hike in the woods or some trail.

Our next avenue was to do light weights and other muscle programs to improve strength and work on other muscles. For us - it was arm strenght and abdominal strength.

So now we just kind of exercise with where we feel the need that day

No special programs

I've gotten rather bored with my usual workout routine. You can only mix it up so much over the years before it gets kind of boring.

Any creative unusual ideas on how to "trick" a workout?

Kettlebells and bowflex. I'm Adonis!! Just kidding. Really though, kettlebells are cool and combined with my Bowflex it gives a new feel to the grind of staying in shape. Greydog.

If you have an iphone (or touch) ... "there's and app for that". Couple of apps offer varied routines using some of the tools mentioned above. You can also mix and match excercises to create your own routines: core X days, cardio variety other days etc. Apps: Fit Builder is my favorite. Other names include Livestrong and Nike Training.
Right on the edge of commiting to and getting P90X

What are your goals? Every program requires some variety to break the body out of plateaus, but without an idea of where you're going it's hard to suggest routines.

I am not looking to get huge and ripped, I just get bored every once in a while and need a change. I've done P90X, AthleanX, Circuit Training, Cross Training.... I do it mostly to stay fit and retain muscle configuration. I really enjoy the Circuit/Cardio Training the most. As an LEO it's not how much I can lift, it's how long can I maintain muscle control/manipulation to stay safe and alive long enough for back-up. I'm the only officer on duty - back up is in bed or at least 30 miles away so I need to have the ability to push myself to failure at each exercise and make it take as long as possible to get to failure. (I also have to exercise my brain - you know talk my way out of crap). What I've done in the past is sprint 1/4 mile and drop and do push-ups to fatigue, roll over and do crunches to fatigue; repeated until I reach failure: I've made up to 30 min. doing this three times a week for two months.

Put a car in neutral and push it around the block. Find a nice piece of telephone pole about 8'ish and flip it end to end. Try running in about 2' of water or moving a large weighted duffle bag from one end of the pool to the other. Buy a truckload of tree rounds and split some firewood.

I rotate between strength and endurance training. Basically when I reach a plateau in strength I turn it into endurance for a while, then bust through the plateau into more strength. I pretty much only do a few gym exercises, squat, deadlift, bench, clean-and-press and pullups. Other than that it's sprints, and a little bit of longer distance running. Kimber Custom hit on some stuff that I work in when I get bored, you can also climb ropes and flip tires. The large weighted duffel bag can be a great tool, especially if the medium inside can shift, forcing you to constantly stabilize during your movement. Sandbag get-ups will smoke you!
I would recommend checking out the book Naked Warrior by Pavel Tsatsouline. There are a lot of good exercises and routines in there for someone without a lot of equipment. Lots of body-weight stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top