JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My defense instructor was a police officer from Portland PD that taught us a blend of Judo, Jujitsu and Forget The Rules.

It's been long enough now that I probably wouldn't dare try any of it now. Get into trouble with poor form. The basics of surprise, situational awareness, and closing tactics are still with me though. Those were fun days.

I took Karate for 8 years 'back in the day' but for the past year I've been taking Krav Maga and I can seriously say it is AWESOME. It's brutal, gets right to the point and I feel it is a good thing for anyone to check out. Soo...check it out if you live in the Portland Metro area.

Are you taking it out at the Beaverton Academy? I was looking at their site a few weeks ago. From everything that I've read it's perfect for personal defense. No katas, no set stances/attacks/counters/defense just pure reaction using the minimal force to incapacitate your opponent and render them defenseless as quickly as possible.

I take it at the school in Milwaukie on International Way. You (or anyone) should come check it out, you can take a free class and see what it's all about. Also, I HIGHLY recommend to any woman that they should come to our woman's only self defense class. They have a couple officers dress up in full protective gear and attack the women, allowing them to kick and knee with full force. Every woman I've talked to said she would do it again in a heatbeat, and that it's a real wake up call that you can't just kick a guy in the groin one time and expect him to give up.
Anyways, here is their website if you want more info:
http://kravmagaportland.com/

Took 6 years of Tae Kwon Do from age 8 to 14, but the only thing I remember is how to count to ten in Korean. Eventually I'd like to start taking classes again, after I drop some of my baby fat :s0114:

I'll have to take a look at Krav Maga. I don't have much money, so I need to make each and every class count. There are some disciplines that I've seen waste a ton of time.

I respect martial arts which take more of an 'all around' 'mind-body-spirit' type approach, but I'm really just looking to be better prepared to defend myself.

I studied DZR (Danzan Ryu Jujitsu) for three years. It's a good mix and up there with Krav Maga. A little hard to practice Krav though without killing someone.

You should come out Joey, and bring Jenny too, you guys will have a good time. Just taking the classes will seriously help anyone lose weight.
Pretty darn physical stuff.
Any martial art is a good thing to 'have under your belt' in addition to a concealed gun. There's a use for every tool

Took 6 years of Tae Kwon Do from age 8 to 14, but the only thing I remember is how to count to ten in Korean. Eventually I'd like to start taking classes again, after I drop some of my baby fat :s0114:

I'll have to take a look at Krav Maga. I don't have much money, so I need to make each and every class count. There are some disciplines that I've seen waste a ton of time.

I respect martial arts which take more of an 'all around' 'mind-body-spirit' type approach, but I'm really just looking to be better prepared to defend myself.

Aikido, depending on the school.....?

I have about 2 years of Jujitsu training from a while ago. I was also a wrestler, though not a great one! I had an ACL replacement a few years back and gained a bunch of weight from steroids (medical problems) so I haven't been able to go practice any of this stuff in some time.

I love the grappling techniques though, and submission moves are fun if not a little sadistic.
:s0114:

Look around see what fits you best, then do your best to master it. Just make sure you check out your dojo, alot of people training for compitions and calling it self defense. Study everything, take what works and discard what dont. If your going to stake your life on your training, be sure it works

You are always the weapon, so should be proficient in using your hands/knees/elbows/feet/etc.

All martial arts are good, none is "the one". This shouldn't be a discipline vs. discipline discussion.

I have over 15 years in Martial Arts. I'm a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and Karate.

You are not allowed to use a gun in a fist fight, so it's important to have other less lethal yet effective options!:smash:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top