JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should *never* voluntarily take a fight to the ground. That may work great in an MMA match, but in the real world, you want to remain on your feet. If you go to ground, your attacker's buddies may show up and kick the snot out of you while he has you tied up on the ground. And if a weapon comes out, it is a **** of a lot harder to run away when you are in a grappling match down on the pavement. And in real life, when you go to ground you tend to roll around in stuff like broken glass, and get mud puddle sludge or other disgusting and unsanitary stuff rubbed into all the abrasions you are going to get from the asphalt, concrete, gravel or whatever. You might win the fight, then die from a MRSA infection.

Ground fighting is a great skill to have, but only as a last-ditch defense if you do get taken down.

I know this post is mainly for adults, what about for kids. We were looking at Akido for our son, since they start them really young here in Corvallis. Were looking at getting him involved in that to channel some of his energy as an outlet. He is 5 though. I know for the kids it seems to be mainly safe tumbling with the basics.

where are you located...and where/who was your instructor?

Sorry, lost track of this thread.. I've trained with Mark Ashton, Kelly Warden and a series of informal JKD instructors and in related traditional arts such as Kali/Arnis/Praying Mantis, since 1993. I've made it a serious study, collect all the training tapes/vids I can, and have taught at my home off and on for years when I can find serious students. I am in Lacey, WA and have full training and sparring gear

Guess my life has been the exception to that, since only a few that got broken up early didn't hit the ground. Plus, if you train the ground game, you should take it to the ground and get the dominant position and talk them out of continuing to fight.

You must train in the methods to keep an opponent from taking you to the ground. It isn't pretty but very effective

I know this post is mainly for adults, what about for kids. We were looking at Akido for our son, since they start them really young here in Corvallis. Were looking at getting him involved in that to channel some of his energy as an outlet. He is 5 though. I know for the kids it seems to be mainly safe tumbling with the basics.

A good Judo class is nice too for young folks.. teaches them the basics of moving a body around and body balance. Later in life if they take up Dumog or similar arts it will translate well

I start judo tonight! At portland judo. Martial street.

Learning how to fall without getting hurt translates to non combat life events as well. The horrible snowstorm we had several winters ago left a sheet of hidden ice under some powder snow.. I was taking the rolling trash can out while wearing USGI Bates boots.. great tread but nothing grips real ice.. my feet came totally out from under me in a forward direction, but I rolled onto my legs, butt, back and by the time my head came down all the fall-energy was gone and my head did not even hit the ground. It was on the concrete sidewalk..no damage whatsoever

I trained in Judo, but my son started Aikido when he was 5. He's now in High School, and just earned his adult brown belt. It's been a great thing for him - he's got great body awareness, flexibility, and core strength. It's helped with other sports too.

But the mental thing is probably the best part. You know the joke about what a fight between two Aikido Masters looks like? They just stand there waiting for the other guy to attack. That's my son. Huge patience and confidence, plus the bonus ability to defend himself very vigorously.

My son has a Dough Jough in Vancouver,wa he could likely train you not sure how to spell it but I think it's hop keto has his 6th belt degree in that and also a masters in something else

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top