JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ranger Hand to Hand is pretty brutal and reminds me of what I see now in Krav Magra. We used to do that stuff for 2 hrs a day every day for months. Good thing that we liked seeing blood, be it our own or our buddies.

Even though I am old and very out of shape, my partner and I are about to begin krav maga classes next week. Our new son just started taking teen classes so we figured we would be supportive by taking the adult classes.

I took karate as a kid. More recently, I've trained a little bit in Judo and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu, and started training in Muay Thai very recently.

I also have an interest in Krav Maga and Silat, but have 0 training in these, thus far.

Always looking for more training resources and/or opportunities.

I know the art of distraction...

BABE TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF AND RUN THAT WAY!

could work...

Glockguy, you know that would work with your wife or my wife,:s0155: but remember the rest of the guys on here... Some of you i'm sure have ugly wives,, in this case, DO NOT HAVE THEM RUN!!! Make them stand still and take their shirts off and let them repel the attacker by blinding them:s0112:

WWKII... go train with the Desert Dogs in Bend.. JT Taylor is a great MMA coach and his guys rarely lose their fights... I dont think you will find any better training in central oregon.

For those of you in the Beaverton area.. Try out Next Level Martial Arts... Those guys are a GREAAAT group of guys... some of the nicest i've met in the northwest.. UFC fighter Nate Quarry trains there and they are always doing some sort of fundraiser. Right now you can train with Nate one on one for 50 dollars i think for an hour and all the money is donated to a kids cancer group.

Just beginning to learn to be fairly competent in Tae Kwon Do. Started in 1972.
It's a process. I agree that rigid forms and kata are useless in a fight.. but that is not their goal...they teach muscle memory. In a fight you use whatever you have in the toolbox. And I am a firm believer that there are two types of empty hand fighters. Those who fight fair....and those who win.

i had 3 years of TKD with Dave's TKD in salem. I love TKD but by itself with all the trained "cage fighters" lol, a little Jiu Jitsu is almost necessary to be competent in any fight. Along with some Muay Thai, and you can be fairly a fairly well rounded fighter. And although we didnt use them in training, we were all familiar and able to use techniques such as elbows to the head and spiking elbows, eye gouging and twisting leg locks if we needed to.

I took TKD from 7-17, went to a bunch of schools, didn't like the masters or what was being taught. Ended up at a decent place and was on the tournament team training for the Junior Olympics, needless to say it never happened. But along with my studies towards black belt, I learned Aikido/Hapkido, and a little Su Bok Do, (royal court TKD) similar to TKD and Mui Thai put together. Dabbled in intramural Wrestling in High School, messed around with my escrima and kali buddies, I've acquired some knowledge over the years.
I believe that one should have a good foundation to build off of.. people can say what they want about the popular TKD or Karate, but it was important to learn breathing, and discipline, even a little spirituality and meditation, Muscle memory too like the other guy said. You really want to try out things and take with you what works best with your body type etc.
Now that I'm older, yea, I carry a gun and a knife but will only use them in life or death situations, and sometimes it's not life or death. I have also been contemplating joining the Beaverton Krav Maga school but I hear the Milwaukie one is much better. Krav Maga seems so interesting with it's no nonesense, incapacitate or kill method, like Liam Neeson in Taken, I really want to try it out with all it's disarms etc. it's just who has the time anymore?!

Any suggestions on where to go in the Vancouver area? I know East/West martial arts has Krav Maga along with other disciplines, but I'd like to hear where those of you in the Vancouver area go and what you like about it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Took 6 years of Tae Kwon Do from age 8 to 14, but the only thing I remember is how to count to ten in Korean.

Quoted for truth. Did a similar stretch with boxing and Tae Kwon Do through the ATA from 10 to 17, and Krav Maga from 15 to 17. Between discovering automobiles, women, and firearms, and especially (since I'm an idiot) starting smoking, the interest and eventually abilities faded - I don't think I can even remember how to count to 10 in Korean at this point, though my Hebrew is fine.

Different martial arts offer different things, and you could debate the merits of them individually. Heck, the majority opinion is that someone who is responsibly carrying a concealed weapon should never engage themselves in a physical confrontation - the value of walking away rather than turning a bout of machismo into a gunfight is immense. But, it's great cardio and the one benefit I can still look back on and say, "man, that was valuable" is the daily pushing of essentials that you might not work on in a gym routine: balance, breathing, and applying your core muscles rather than simply exercising them - folks, that translates into everything you do in a positive way.

I've noticed more MMA and crossfit, usually in combination with one another, studios opening up - one here in Eugene on 7th. I've always tended to watch more boxing than UFC when it comes to fighting sports, but it's always seemed to me that some of that stuff is bordering on too physically straining. Does anyone with more experience with competitive MMA/crossfit combinations, either as a practitioner or viewer, know more about the 'shelf life' or average age of those involved with it? It just seems to be an almost counter productive level of exertion.

Any suggestions on where to go in the Vancouver area? I know East/West martial arts has Krav Maga along with other disciplines, but I'd like to hear where those of you in the Vancouver area go and what you like about it. Thanks in advance for any help.

I took about two years of Krav at E/W off Hwy 99. It was a good experience, but after a while I got tired of the attitudes of a lot of the people (instructors and students). I preferred the "Basic" classes for more workout and conditioning. As you got into advanced levels, it seemed you always had the guys that would let their egos get control of them and when sparring you'd have less focus on technique or even learning and more on trying to show the other guy that you were stronger and better. After bruised ribs on two occasions (one from the instructor) that took me out for 6 weeks each, it wasn't fun any more. Shortly after, I discovered CrossFit, and haven't looked back. My wife stuck with it for another year after I quit, but ego problems didn't seem as much an issue with the women. She was also doing BJJ there at the same time, but had some issues with an instructor. I've heard they no longer offer BJJ there though.

From a Self Defense standpoint, Krav was great. The techniques seemed more "natural" and certainly played to the idea that in a life or death situation, chivalry and respect for your opponent are not going to ensure you get away alive. Instead, it's about preparedness, surprise, early domination, and striking wherever and however you need to. The bad guy doesn't give a bubblegum if you can do the dancing crane...but when you launch a boot into his crotch, then rush in as he doubles over and drive your knee hard into his face a few times while "steering" him with a good shoulder grab before backing off, assessing the situation, and getting your posterior out of harm's way you've just upped your chances of survival.

It also was a great "start" at better physical fitness. I say start, because as you progress out of the "basic" classes you spend a lot more time on technique and a lot less time doing drills that can be more challenging (but more beneficial) for someone a little out of shape like I was when I started. Now, after having joined CrossFit Fort Vancouver nearly two years ago, I've got a whole new idea of being fit and strong. I may not have advanced to the levels of learning advanced "take-aways" for edged weapons and firearms, but I feel that I have enough of a basic skill set that if I were placed in a bad situation, my level of physical fitness, steeping in Krav, and the fact I'm carrying a firearm at (almost) all times gives me a pretty good chance for survival.

We do have a friend whose wife is an instructor now at E/W on Hwy99, and I guess they have changed things up a little there (some good, some bad). They now require you to wear only "Krav" branded stuff in class - sort of like a uniform (defeats the purpose in my eyes of being "ready" in your normal attire - I remember military guys in there when I was doing it that were in their BDU's and boots to ensure they were as prepared as possible in what they would be wearing if put in that situation). The classes sound like they've been separated out a bit more, so that the people at each level (basic, intermediate, advanced) are getting more specific instruction rather than the prior setup that had all intermediate and advanced together. I'm not sure how the pricing runs now, but I know that it wasn't cheap...unless you had more than two family members doing some kind of training there (you paid for the first two in a family, then everyone else was "free" - excluding uniforms, etc).

Quoted for truth. Did a similar stretch with boxing and Tae Kwon Do through the ATA from 10 to 17, and Krav Maga from 15 to 17. Between discovering automobiles, women, and firearms, and especially (since I'm an idiot) starting smoking, the interest and eventually abilities faded - I don't think I can even remember how to count to 10 in Korean at this point, though my Hebrew is fine.

Different martial arts offer different things, and you could debate the merits of them individually. Heck, the majority opinion is that someone who is responsibly carrying a concealed weapon should never engage themselves in a physical confrontation - the value of walking away rather than turning a bout of machismo into a gunfight is immense. But, it's great cardio and the one benefit I can still look back on and say, "man, that was valuable" is the daily pushing of essentials that you might not work on in a gym routine: balance, breathing, and applying your core muscles rather than simply exercising them - folks, that translates into everything you do in a positive way.

I've noticed more MMA and crossfit, usually in combination with one another, studios opening up - one here in Eugene on 7th. I've always tended to watch more boxing than UFC when it comes to fighting sports, but it's always seemed to me that some of that stuff is bordering on too physically straining. Does anyone with more experience with competitive MMA/crossfit combinations, either as a practitioner or viewer, know more about the 'shelf life' or average age of those involved with it? It just seems to be an almost counter productive level of exertion.

My experiences with CF have nothing to do with MMA in combination. I can say that if you are part of a CF "box" (gym) that mostly follows the "mainpage" (crossfit.com) programming and has little or no real experience in good coaching and smart programming, you can be heading down a road of quick burn-out. Most people get caught up in the endorphin rush from "drinking the koolaid" and start training every day, as much as possible, and as hard as possible. You will see excellent results...at first. But you can reach burnout very quickly too. If you get hooked up with a gym that has smart coaches and smart programming, and also learn to follow the programming, you can see those same results - perhaps a little less quickly - AND sustain them for a long time as well. Of course, the same goes for any physical fitness program - if you do the right things and do them smart, you will see gains while avoiding short- or long-term injury. Best thing I can recommend, if you're truly interested in checking out the idea of CF, is to give more than one box a try (if you have more than one available). Because they are only "affiliated" and not "franchised" (they pay for the name but everything after that is up to the gym to control and manage), you'll find each one has a different atmosphere, attitude, and approach. Different people will gravitate toward different combinations of those things, and what feels "right" to you will be different than the next person. Most offer reduced (or free) introductory sessions to give them a shot and pick up on a few basics, so you aren't obligated for anything to give it a shot at any (or all) of the different boxes in your area. I know at CFFV (CrossFit Fort Vancouver), we've had a lot of people that have ended up at our place after having tried others in the area...and we have had a few people that have moved on to other ones instead as well.

I teach Jeet Kune Do.. "the Way of the Intercepting Hand and Foot" which is a modern expression of an ancient, mostly forgotten, (back then) world wide martial concept

I got my black belt in taekwondo (but so did a bunch of kids younger than me) in other genres like Brazilian Jui Jitsu, they won't give you a black belt until you earn it in competition. In real life scenarios, i'd rather train in MMA. Much more uses in a real situation where you have to defend yourself. Most street fights end up on the ground, so having submissions/ground and pound/wrestling, you hold a serious advantage over a average Joe attacker.

Guess my life has been the exception to that, since only a few that got broken up early didn't hit the ground. Plus, if you train the ground game, you should take it to the ground and get the dominant position and talk them out of continuing to fight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top