JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got a 1983 SeaKing that hasn't been run in about five years. It was the kicker on a small cabin cruiser I bought, and started right up when I bought the boat and tested the engine and motor. I never got a fuel tank for it, and haven't run it since. I donated the boat several years ago, and put the SeaKing on my 12' Mirrocraft, then got ill and never went any further. It's been outside. It turns over fine. I have the repair manual. I know that at least one wire needs replacing.

If you're interested in working on it, PM or email me and let me know what you'd charge per hour, or...? I'm in Beaverton.

Max

I've got a 1983 SeaKing that hasn't been run in about five years. It was the kicker on a small cabin cruiser I bought, and started right up when I bought the boat and tested the engine and motor. I never got a fuel tank for it, and haven't run it since. I donated the boat several years ago, and put the SeaKing on my 12' Mirrocraft, then got ill and never went any further. It's been outside. It turns over fine. I have the repair manual. I know that at least one wire needs replacing.

If you're interested in working on it, PM or email me and let me know what you'd charge per hour, or...? I'm in Beaverton.

Max
I would replace that wire, change the spark plugs, put in a fresh tank of gas and try to start it then. Much less expensive than taking it to a shop and can be done faster than the time it would otherwise be at a shop.

Those old Chrysler Sea King parts are pricey. The problem isn't getting it running, it's keeping it running without burning up the head.
The water pump impellers rubber fins are more then likely all dried up and will break up under load and clog up the water jacket passages and thermostat. If it was run in salt water, I wouldn't put a dime into it.

dont run ANY outboard that has been sitting for 5 years,
dont run ANY outboard YOU have never worked on before........ untill you replace the rubber water pump impeller , In older outboards the rubber impeller may have dried out and throw a blade, if so the rubber blades can get sucked up into the powerhead and block water flow..and you cook the motor you havent even had in the water yet!
the rubber blades can also develop a "set" to them and no longer pump enough water

very common problem that gets over looked for a $25 part...its a part that SHOULD be looked into and or replaced every other season

I race mercury outboards and there are many specialty tools required, dont know about seaking but your better off taking it to a pro, its usually cheaper in the long run to get a guy that KNOWS the motor to work on it, I know I could fix it, but not being familiar it would take me 3-4 times longer than a seaking mechanic so its cheaper in the long run to go to a dealer

PS
everyone should put a piece of tape over the cooling pee hole on your outboard ......TODAY....the mud dobbers are looking for a place to winter right now and I have seen dozens of motors that get this tell tale pee hole blocked up

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top