JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone here help me identify this pistol?
Or reccomend a shop or gunsmith in the Seattle area who could?

I've been looking at all sorts of Colt serial number charts and various websites and I'm coming up empty.
I'd like to know how old it is and what this HD work is all about. Should have I have a smith inspect it for safety before taking it to the range?

Serial number is 70S265xx.
It's a .38 super caliber. I just assumed it was a .45 auto like every other 1911 I've ever owned and fired. My fault for not checking before purchase. Guessing that lowers the value?

Condition appears new & unfired. I don't see any handling marks.
Magazine looks like it's been removed from the gun but never loaded. Slight drag mark along the sides but throat is clean.
I did find a very long and detailed invoice from a Harrison Design and consulting LLC folded up in the soft case with it.
Invoice just lists all the work done, date, serial number of the gun and Peerless. Might be the gun smiths name, not sure.

Name on the invoice matches the name of the person I bought it from and he had a WA CWP so I'm not worried about the history on it.

Any help at all nailing down what this is would be appreciated. I'm hesiant to take this thing to the range until I know more about it.

Sorry about the poor quality cell phone picture, I'll have to dig up my digital camera this weekend.
15z3xb7.jpg

15z3xb7.jpg

Can anyone here help me identify this pistol?
Or reccomend a shop or gunsmith in the Seattle area who could?

I've been looking at all sorts of Colt serial number charts and various websites and I'm coming up empty.
I'd like to know how old it is and what this HD work is all about. Should have I have a smith inspect it for safety before taking it to the range?

Serial number is 70S265xx.
It's a .38 super caliber. I just assumed it was a .45 auto like every other 1911 I've ever owned and fired. My fault for not checking before purchase. Guessing that lowers the value?

Condition appears new & unfired. I don't see any handling marks.
Magazine looks like it's been removed from the gun but never loaded. Slight drag mark along the sides but throat is clean.
I did find a very long and detailed invoice from a Harrison Design and consulting LLC folded up in the soft case with it.
Invoice just lists all the work done, date, serial number of the gun and Peerless. Might be the gun smiths name, not sure.

Name on the invoice matches the name of the person I bought it from and he had a WA CWP so I'm not worried about the history on it.

Any help at all nailing down what this is would be appreciated. I'm hesiant to take this thing to the range until I know more about it.

Sorry about the poor quality cell phone picture, I'll have to dig up my digital camera this weekend.
View attachment 54904

And your problem is? Mark IV in 38 super? What is the problem? You might want to read this: Colt Mark IV Series 80 .38 Super - 1911Forum

May I add: If you don't like it, I'll buy it...it's probably worth quite a bit more than you think.

I shot some competition with a couple of those owned by a friend of mine in Olympia. Outstandingly accurate, and never any problems. Great guns in my opinion! Not to sound like a jerk, but how did you miss the "38 Super Auto Caliber" written on the side?

From Serial Number Data, it shows for 1911 in 38 a starting SN in 1976 70S20201, but nothing in '77 so I dont know if they ended production in 1976 or its an incomplete listing for 38's.

Unfortunately, Colt's SN data that is out on the net is not complete...Most likely much newer than 1976. If you really want to know, you have to send a letter to Colt, and pay their fee.

He didn't give us the date on the invoice from the custom shop...That would probably give a good clue where to start looking.

Example: I own a Colt Officers Model 38, second edition, from early 1926 (does not have the Oct 1926 patent date on it) You will never find that one the net, only from Colt.

Odd ideal but go with it
Call Harrison Design & Consulting

Harrison Design & Consulting, LLC
4313 White Hickory Lane
Kennesaw, GA 30152
United States

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (770) 419-3476

I don't wish to sound cruel, but how do you mistake a CLEARLY marked 38 Super for a 45 ACP.

I guess I derserve the negative comments for not providing more detailed information.
Obviosly I know what model it is, I have many 1911's.

Invoice is from 2007. I took the gun in on partial trade for a restored 1970 Z28.
Didn't really look at it closely at the time, just saw a Colt1911 in the box that looked clean.
Finished the title transfer on the car and put it away in the safe and forgot all about it until a few days ago.
I just assumed it was a .45 like all my other 1911's, seller didn't say much of anything about it.

Only .38 super 1911 I've seen was a butt ugly Taurus with gold accents. After reading up on the ballistics it's a suprisingly hot little round. May not be as bad as I thought.

I was hoping someone familier with modified Colt 1911's could tell roughly how old it is and why someone would spend so much money on a fairly stock looking pistol. What is the intended use? Competition of some sort, super reliability or simply bragging rights. This harrison fellow seems to have quite the reputation for custom Colt's.

I'll keep digging in hopes to find out more about it. haven't heard back from the harrison Design company yet.

I always read that 38 super is primarily popular because it is a non military caliber and some countries (Mexico) restrict such. Maybe it came from someone in such a country.

I guess I derserve the negative comments for not providing more detailed information.
Obviosly I know what model it is, I have many 1911's.

Invoice is from 2007. I took the gun in on partial trade for a restored 1970 Z28.
Didn't really look at it closely at the time, just saw a Colt1911 in the box that looked clean.
Finished the title transfer on the car and put it away in the safe and forgot all about it until a few days ago.
I just assumed it was a .45 like all my other 1911's, seller didn't say much of anything about it.

Only .38 super 1911 I've seen was a butt ugly Taurus with gold accents. After reading up on the ballistics it's a suprisingly hot little round. May not be as bad as I thought.

I was hoping someone familier with modified Colt 1911's could tell roughly how old it is and why someone would spend so much money on a fairly stock looking pistol. What is the intended use? Competition of some sort, super reliability or simply bragging rights. This harrison fellow seems to have quite the reputation for custom Colt's.

I'll keep digging in hopes to find out more about it. haven't heard back from the harrison Design company yet.

If the custom shop receipts are from 2007, it is probably a 2006 or 2007. They did not issue production Mark IV's in 38 super except through teh custom shop, or so I have heard,

Might want to look at this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327916399

.38 Super was the rage in target shooting in the 60's and 70's. Powders have changed some and other calibers improved. so has .38 Super

Possibly. i figure it's more of a collectors item than a carry or range weapon.

Safe queen so I'll never fire it, don't believe it's ever been fired.

This is what I've been able to gather on it; Colt 1911 model 70 chambered in .38 super.
Manufactured in the early 1970's, pistolsmith John Harrison did a custom job on it in 2007. Equvilant to a current Peerless job with some additional features. trijon sight, etc.
I have a 2 page invoice from him listing a rediculous amount of custom work. Not a scratch or mark on it, hench the permanant safe residence.

Feel free to PM for pics, copy of the invoice or additional info.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top