Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone here ever build an MP5?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by NUCLEARMJ, Feb 17, 2014.

1. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

Wondering if anyone here has every built an mp5 receiver? How hard was it? Tips/Tricks? Just started doing research on parts kits (damn expensive).

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I assume you mean an HK94 or clone as it would not be legal to build an MP-5.

I know many people build the G3 and Cetme clones and this would be the same process. If you can find the receiver flats bending it right and welding it right would be the big issues. I know there were a couple companies that use to do it but got mixed product reviews.

There is a specific HK form with tons of great info on it. I did lots of reading there when I had my SL-8, USC and when I was looking at an HK-93 clone.

3. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep start out with an MP5 kit and build it into a HK94. I have the bending jig and all the goodies. There is ALLOT to it! Not just a bend and weld...Gotta make sure the carrier slides free...

4. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

Don't see why it would have to be made into a HK94 if all nfa rules are followed. Velzey do you know where to get a good deal on parts kits?

5. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Because if you are following NFA rules, unless you are a licensed (type 7 FFL with Class 2 SOT) manufacture it would be illegal. There is a reason civilian legal MP5's cost $15,000+

License type, Federal Firearms License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NFA rules, National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you would like I can link you to the actual references through the NFA, but hey are not as easy to read.