JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep, trick.. being proficient with a firearm is indeed a martial art, by definition. As you were and or continue. This will be fun.

Boxing was all I was ever taught growing up and I did it through high school. Not really a martial art but it does help against the average guy with 0 muscle memory in a fight. Just stick and move!

I am not trying to put anyone down as I know there are skilled martial artists that would beat my a@# but many who claim to be trained in some form of martial arts go down with 2 hits. I will take the boxing and wrestling I did growing up anyday over being confident my ability to jump high and kick will save my butt.

My experience with "trained" martial artists is limited though. Seems that those who really are trained do not brag but those who are mall ninja types brag about their skills to no end. And then get knocked out with a quick jab.

I used to do medieval martial arts before I got too old and too smart...

medieval_martial_arts.jpg

The steel armor the knights wear can cost up to $10,000 and weigh 80 pounds, but when competing in hand-to-hand combat with swords and shields, knights want all the protection they can get.

"I've seen individuals with their helmet caved in, along with their head," said USA Knights team member Brad Schaive. "I've seen double compound fractures… I've seen fingers cut off. I've seen guys take helmets off and there's no teeth left, their nose is broke, their heads gashed open, they're bleeding all over."

Yeah, I've seen that too, but they're also still grinning ear to ear.

Lol of course not.

Like all my gun writing heroes, I'm fat as all get out and have a gun!

Psyke! Of course, it's so stupid to care so much about guns and not do anything to train your body.

I work out regularly, cardio and lifting. I western box and spar Chinese kick boxing. Looking into BJJ but not a fan of the mma scene and don't want to learn in a mma based gym.

TKD since I was 9 years old - a bit out of practice but plenty able to throw a punch or kick, started taking BJJ lessons last year but my work schedule changed and had to drop out. Would like to find a BJJ gym that could work with my schedule, but that's unlikely. Work is why I stopped attending regular TKD classes - I don't typically get off till 7PM at the earliest and some nights I"m not home till 3AM. :eek:

If I had to pick one "art" to learn for real self defense, it would be a self defense oriented BJJ class. There's a number of them around - for those on the east side the Anibol Lobo BJJ academy in Gresham would be good to look into. If you can find / afford a Gracie affiliated school that'd be the ticket for defense oriented BJJ, but places like Impact JJ also have a good SD focus in addition to their competitive training.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top