JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you tried one of those old single shot bolt action 22's like used to be kept behind the kitchen door on old farms?

We had one that would shoot ANYTHING. I don't remember it ever being cleaned or oiled either, it just kept on shooting Rats, Cats, Skunks, and occasionally "Dinner" if you didn't feel like chasing the rooster.

I'm with you there, I live in the sticks and one of my 22lr guns is an m1969 Romanian bolt action trainer. It shoots anything as far as ammo goes and everything else you mentioned as well as raccoons, possums, armadillos, cottonmouth snakes and so on. Haven't needed to shoot any cats yet but have shot many "extra" roosters for a main dinner course. I have a 6300rd case of the golden bullets but haven't used them yet. I have about 25,000rds of other stuff and was going to put these in storage along with the others but after reading this I think I'll be pulling these out and using them first to see if I have the same problem.
The other 22 I have is a Winchester Model 250 lever action. I only remember one time having a bunch of misfires and it was with that gun. It was after overdoing it with the gun oil after a cleaning once. I do have an empty golden bullet box I use to put stuff in on the shelf but I don't remember if those were what was in the gun when it was misfiring. Once I start using the goldens I have I'll post back here.

Next time I am at the range I'll look for a kid shooting a .22 and give them my two boxes of Golden. I don't have any patience for crap ammo, especially .22. The CCI mini mags and CCI's AR Tactical give me no issues. My HK416d will shoot anything, but I don't want to unnecessarily dirty it up with the Rem Golden. Dumb kid at Bimart told me it was great ammo.

Overall agree the Rem Gold Bullet bulk packs are inconsistent, bang-pop, bang-bang pop, but I have not have the failures or malfunctions noted,
10-22s and 22-45, I started stocking up on the Federal American Eagle really like it, prints maybe 1-2 inches under CCI Stingers at 50yd, and
Seems very consistent not quite as hot as the Stingers, and a lot more affordable.

Well I was able to go test out the golden bullet packs that were sent back to me. I'm happy to announce that I had ZERO problems with the new boxes. Here is the deal, during the last ammo shortage, they were cranking out the golden bullet and had some really poor priming issues. They now have a new style box, so it should be easy to tell the difference. I have yet to see this new style box in any stores around my area.

If I had a bunch of the old style stashed, I would get it out and test it.

Here is a photo of the NEW style box.:s0155:
View attachment 178991

Well I was able to go test out the golden bullet packs that were sent back to me. I'm happy to announce that I had ZERO problems with the new boxes. Here is the deal, during the last ammo shortage, they were cranking out the golden bullet and had some really poor priming issues. They now have a new style box, so it should be easy to tell the difference. I have yet to see this new style box in any stores around my area.

View attachment 178869

Hmm...maybe I'll give the Remington stuff one more try (since I can't find Dynapoint bulk boxes anymore).

Purchased a 550 bonus pack back a few months ago. I was having a 20 to 30% misfire rate on the ammo. Walmart would not take the ammo back so I contacted Remington from there web site. Remington mailed me a label and had the ammo shipped back to Arkansas to be tested. After about a week I received an apology and a new box of ammo from Remington. I've probably fired a hundred rounds of the new ammo, no misfires yet.

View attachment 178238

I've been very happy with this stuff (same packaging) purchased at Wally World back in Feb. Good groups and only two misfires in the box shooting in a few different guns. The bullets spin in the case like everyone says, but doesn't seem to impact performance. It doesn't group as tight as the CCI Velocitors, but its great for plinking on the cheap. My only complaint is the 'gold' makes my hands look like I've been huffing paint.

I think sometimes bulk ammo is just luck of the draw. I bought a horrible brick of Blazer around the same time that would misfeed, misfire, and fly all over the paper. A lot of the cases were so out of tolerance I couldn't even get them into a revolver cylinder.

I've had some boxes without a single misfire, and I've had boxes with awful odds out of the same .22's. I just run the duds through a second time, and sometimes they work - usually not.

We had one we tried something like 16 times and most of the rim was dented but never went.

Never had an issue with the golden bullets. In fact I love em'. They perform fine in my lever action henry and marlin 795. I even won a competition shooting them when I was 16, Beat all those cci shooting kids with hollow points and a $120 gun.... anybody who doesn't want em' should send em' my way!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top