JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a pocket size pistol or revolver that can fit in my summer shorts or summer weight pants. Something smaller than Springfield XDS 9mm. And, hopefully comfortable to put in the pocket. Thanks.

I had one. It was finicky with ammo. The feed ramp is REALLY steep and hollow-points were kinda hit or miss.

Kimber micro 9 is a good choice, and the "Old" Walther ( and bersa thunder) PPK is the standard all others are judged by, for good reason! I have heard mixed on the Khar, so I would look at that with your eyes open. I know SIG has a small .380 but I don't know which one it is, 938? IDK! Ruger also has a nice little compact .380, I don't know any thing about it, but I'm sure the good folks here can fill ya in on all your options!

Personally I would skip the Kahr, finicky is a polite term. The Ruger is not a bad choice for a mouse gun. The LCP is small enough that it easily slips into swim trunks while kayaking and cheap enough that if it sinks to the bottom, who cares.

I like mine. It doesn't like FTX or HST bullets but it functions every time with Gold Dot. And my handloads, too. I'd buy another as it fits where most others wont. Cargo shorts, jeans, slacks. It's a great BUG.

I like mine. It doesn't like FTX or HST bullets but it functions every time with Gold Dot. And my handloads, too. I'd buy another as it fits where most others wont. Cargo shorts, jeans, slacks. It's a great BUG.

Did you have a break in period with it? How old is your's? Maybe the newer ones had difficulty? Thanks.

Did you have a break in period with it? How old is your's? Maybe the newer ones had difficulty? Thanks.

Kahr recommended a 200 round break-in and I did that during one range trip using white box. I bought it in 2009 or 2010. I have not done extensive testing with SD ammo brands other than Hornady Critical Defense, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dot. Mine performed very well with the Gold Dots so I just stayed with them. I've used Berry's, Sierra, and RMR in my handloads and have settled on RMR 90 gr hollow points. The newer ones may very well be more problematic for all I know about that. There was a lot of good/bad info out when I bought mine but I went ahead with it and I'm glad I did. Heck, Hickok45 owned one thill he gave it to John. What the heck, huh?

PS
It has a very smooth trigger. A very looong, smooth trigger.

It's continued to work for me over the years. Others it has not.

Last Edited:
As to the OP, Kahr's may or may not be good pistols, bottom line it is a crap shoot. If they would spend a little more time on QC they could have a solid pistol. I've had good examples and poor examples.

I have carried the CT380 Kahr for several years now and carry Gold Dots and 100% reliable. It did require about 2boxes of ball for break-in. I've had Colt Gov 380 require 4+ boxes for break-in and Walther S&W PPK require several boxes for break-in. I prefer the Kahr over the little Sig and intend to eventually try the Kahr CW380 which is a little smaller than the CT. My experience with small 380's is that price has little to do with reliability or break-in.

Also, if you don't know, Kahr's are not supposed to be loaded via slide sling-shot and only use the slide-release method, their manual states so on page 16...

https://www.kahr.com/PDF/kahrmanual.pdf

Bottom line Kahr's are tiny, if you want one be sure to break it in will ball ammo while using the slide release, maybe you'll score.
Also if I remember right Rem ball is round nose versus Win WB flat nose. The Rem was pretty reliable from the start and made break-in at the range more fun.

Ruger LCP2
-weighs nothing
-can carry in your pocket and it prints like a wallet or cell phone
-decent trigger(huge improvement over original LCP)
-only like $200
-looks cool
Everybody that has a CPL should have an LCP in my humble opinion...
No brainer.

Pro Tip: a couple coats of white, then a couple coats of neon orange fingernail polish on the front sight gives it excellent contrast:s0155:

I rock a Ruger LCP in the summer in a Winthrop OWB leather holster. It's easy to carry with a light shirt hanging over it. Disappears on my profile. I tend to forget I have it in me. Though I know it is always there. It's been reliable as well, so far it has eaten everything I've fed it. It usually has some Gold Dots in it as I bought a ton a while ago. I really need to research some more affective 380 for it though.

I refer to the LCP as my lazy carry, as I go to it even in the winter when I prefer comfort over capacity.

I used to pocket carry it as well in a Remora Holster. Worked well in my work outfit which required my shirt be tucked in. Never printed, and never bothered me in my front right pocket.

I rock a Ruger LCP in the summer in a Winthrop OWB leather holster. It's easy to carry with a light shirt hanging over it. Disappears on my profile. I tend to forget I have it in me. Though I know it is always there. It's been reliable as well, so far it has eaten everything I've fed it. It usually has some Gold Dots in it as I bought a ton a while ago. I really need to research some more affective 380 for it though.

I refer to the LCP as my lazy carry, as I go to it even in the winter when I prefer comfort over capacity.

I used to pocket carry it as well in a Remora Holster. Worked well in my work outfit which required my shirt be tucked in. Never printed, and never bothered me in my front right pocket.
Lazy carry is an excellent description...
Having a little .380 on you is much better than the .45 that you left at home because it's too uncomfortable to carry...
LCP can get you in trouble... I almost carried mine into my kids school because as you say, it's easy to forget it's on you.

I bought my wife a Taurus 738 .380 pocket pistol:

P1010401.jpg

We have a pocket holster for it that works really well. It's a nice size for carry or travel. But we normally keep a .357 for her side in the side door.

Cons:
A very long trigger pull. Heavy pull too. But that is the safety on this pistol.
Low capacity.
Finicky on ammo even with mag lips bent out some.
Subject to FTF after the first shot. Especially with her shooting because of low wrist and hand strength, but also with me.
I also found it to be not fun to shoot. Very hard to hold onto. Harder on the hands then my full size and compact 9mms.

Last Edited:
@tkdguy I'm very surprised by the shade being thrown on this amazing gun! This isn't the "What gun should I get other than the gun I'm asking about?" thread. It is the "What do you think of the P380?" thread.

I have worn my P380 almost all summer! I've owned it for 8+ years and have had zero problems, never a malfunction that I recall and it is surprisingly accurate.

This gun is NOT for every purpose. A 9mm single stack is still the better small gun to have, but this is what the P380 is good for:

-Pocket carry in a holster (I use an Alabama Holsters rig for my pocket), especially in dressier outfits or in a non-permissive environment. When you need to pocket carry and nobody should know, this gun has no rival. Maybe the LCP2 could compete in size and quality, but nothing else.

-Belt carry, but only when minimally dressed. I wore this gun all summer in shorts and a T-shirt while working in the yard every day. It was even smaller than a Shield. A PM9 may work for this duty, too, but since it can work double duty with pocket carry, this works great for deep concealment.

-It locks back on an empty mag.
-It has real sights.
-Magazines are functional and dependable. They don't "leak" rounds like the 9mm single stack Kahr mags have a tendency to do.

I like mine. But it fills a particular niche. I am someone with four carry guns and this fills that one need for a tiny gun that is dependable. This is NOT an EDC gun for year-round carry. I would suggest a 9mm to someone who only as one gun. If this is just one in a larger family, then I say go for it.