JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to install a 2 inch lift kit on my stock 94 wrangler YJ. I found a killer deal on a rubicon express all-inclusive kit, and downloaded the installation instructions to get an idea of what I'm looking at to put it on. There is a small note at the end of the instructions that says if excessive driveshaft vibration is experienced, you will need to purchase a slip yoke eliminator kit and cv driveshaft. Also, there is a transfer case lowering kit included with the lift kit, and this is an acceptable temporary solution.

My questions are:
What are the chances that I am going to have to spend another 5-600 bucks to fix a problem I have created? Is this warning more geared toward the taller lift kits? I have done quite a bit of research, and this is the first I've read about the transfer case lowering kit being "temporary".

I'm not looking to build a rock crawler. I just want to refresh my tired old suspension and gain a little clearance for the 31" tires that are currently on it.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

I would search for answers on 4 wheel club sites.
Every time you mess with factory specs on a vehicle, you are asking for problems. That's my 2 cents.
I did alignments / brakes for years and saw more than a few lift kits installed by beginners and some vehicles never did handle properly afterward.
Think about the drive shaft spinning at high speeds at the new angle the lift has now introduced. How much will it cost to rebuild your transfer case.

The transfer drop kit will get rid of most of the vibration but not all, you will still have some around 30-35mph. The slip yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft will eliminate all vibration and you wont need the drop kit for the transfer case. You can take the tranny off yourself and have the kit installed to save money or install it yourself it's not that hard. The SYE kit is not that expensive and well worth the money, get it from these guys as it comes all in one kit.....Adams Driveshaft, Inc. - Home

Dont forget brake lines Front and rear and a drop pitman arm along with a spacer kit for the trac bars and possibly longer sway bar links to keep the ride smooth.

If you dont want all the expense maybe just go with a spring over kit instead.

I have a 92 I already went through this with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to install a 2 inch lift kit on my stock 94 wrangler YJ.
That's leaf springs right? So your using a 2" shackle lift. My YJ had them. 2" inches is not much. I had also installed a 2" 'Budget Boost' on my Rubicon. Then the bigger Goodyear MTs took care of the next two inches. It amounted to some spacers over the springs. It did shift the axels over to the passenger side a bit, so I needed some wheel spacers with the stock wheels.

One thing is true. Each Jeep is unique when it comes to lifting. One will accept a little lift without issue, the next will give you headaches no matter what you do.

I am looking to install a 2 inch lift kit on my stock 94 wrangler YJ. I found a killer deal on a rubicon express all-inclusive kit, and downloaded the installation instructions to get an idea of what I'm looking at to put it on. There is a small note at the end of the instructions that says if excessive driveshaft vibration is experienced, you will need to purchase a slip yoke eliminator kit and cv driveshaft. Also, there is a transfer case lowering kit included with the lift kit, and this is an acceptable temporary solution.

My questions are:
What are the chances that I am going to have to spend another 5-600 bucks to fix a problem I have created? Is this warning more geared toward the taller lift kits? I have done quite a bit of research, and this is the first I've read about the transfer case lowering kit being "temporary".

I'm not looking to build a rock crawler. I just want to refresh my tired old suspension and gain a little clearance for the 31" tires that are currently on it.

i have a 4in lift on my 91 wrangler with a transfer case lowering kit for almost 10 years now and never had any problems with the driveline. I often take it out wheeling and hunting and have seriously abused it,lol. I dont have the sye kit just stock driveline. you probably wouldnt even have to lower the transfer case with a 2in.

Thanks for the info guys! The kit I'm looking at comes with new leaf springs(that's where the added height is coming from), shocks, bushings, u-bolts, brake line extensions, shims, sway bar disconnect kit, and transfer case drop kit. It uses stock shackles and from what I have read, a drop pitman arm is not needed for a 2 inch lift. I'm going to make some calls today, and see what the local shops have to say. If I can't install the kit without spending more money chasing problems, I may just have to keep dealing with the poor ride quality for another year.

Deadeye: Nice jeep! That is almost identical to what I have pictured in my head.

Sounds extensive for 2 inches. Then again I've read some real sob stories about adding the 2" shackles. It can be a lot harder than it sounds.

Get a centerforce dual friction clutch and precision U-joints, do NOT use spicer U-joints, they will wear out in 2 months with a lift!. This will solve the problem of vibration, but I don't think you'll need to do anything since its only a 2" lift. My 92 had a 4" pro comp and 3" body lift. It was awesome! jeep.jpg

jeep.jpg

If its strictly going to be a 2" lift then you will not need the SYE kit. I have not come a across a Jeep that even needed a T-case drop with that small amount of lift. I have done more than my fair share of jeep lifts and total build ups. At 2" if you are not going to off road it you really dont need need extended shocks brake lines or even a pitman arm. An adjustable track bar it ideal because it allows you to keep your front axle perfectly centered. I have not looked at the kit your looking to buy but the T- case drops are NOT temporary, they are made to permantly mount it lower (I dont like the idea myself but many many jeeps run around with them for years). And Tom woods is a great company to deal with if your going to do the SYE kit yourself. A good Off Road shop can also do it with out removing the T-case from the vehicle. Is the kit Leaf springs or shackles?? If they are springs it may cause a small vibration for a while till the springs are used and settle to the final lift height. If you want a little help I am willing to help if you want.

The pic is of the Jeep I built for Myself just for the credibility factor:s0155:

39549_173783819298903_100000018586600_634101_1914836_n.jpg

Another site you might look at is Jeepfourm.com. There are a lot of great guys there that can help.

This...

Jeep forum is a good "noob" site, very friendly peeps. As said above, 2" is pretty straight forward and you may or may not need the SYE ( I would lay odds that you won't )
If you don't want to go to the expense of a full kit, take your stock springs in to be re-arched and replace the stock components...you'd be surprised how much sag springs will get over 20 years....

Thanks again for all the input, guys! I have finally decided to go ahead with the lift kit after all the info from you, numerous phone calls, and searching the jeep forums. The feedback I have gotten tells me there is a 98% chance this will go in, and work without any problems. Even the wife is okay with those odds. Going to order it this morning, along with all the worn out odds and ends(lift gate struts, door pulls, ext. handles, new clutch slave and master cylinders, valve cover gasket, just to be safe-new u-joints, and a few other goodies) Gonna be like a new rig:D

I'll get some before and after pics even though it's a minimal lift and it may not look much different.

Thanks again for all the help. And those who posted pics-nice jeeps!!! Makes me want to go bigger, but the extent of my four wheeling is mostly logging roads on the way out to shoot and fish, and an occasional mud puddle when I can find 'em. So I think this will be more than enough.

My questions are:

I have a 97 wrangler and installed a Rubicon Superflex 4" lift about 8 years ago. Really happy with it. The work was a little intense, but, it was worth it.

I finally got it installed.:s0155: Had a buddy help that knows four by fours, and I swear the guy could have done this in his sleep. I can't believe what a difference it made in the ride and the appearance. Money and time well spent. Rubicon Express 2-1/2" lift. Got more than the 2-1/2" since the stock suspension was so tired. I can't wait to go get the springs to settle in.:)

Again, thanks for all the input!

Pics as promised

th_before.jpg th_after.jpg th_frontbefore.jpg th_frontafter.jpg

I drove it about 15 miles yesterday, and it seems to drive fine. no vibration, no bump steer, nothing to complain about. I do have to put nerf bars or some sort of steps for my wife to get in and out now.:s0114:

I drove it about 15 miles yesterday, and it seems to drive fine. no vibration, no bump steer, nothing to complain about. I do have to put nerf bars or some sort of steps for my wife to get in and out now.:s0114:

I put the velcro roll bar mount handles in for my wife, gives her something to grab onto to help get in.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top