JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to pick up a new 9mm handgun in the next two weeks. I'm leaning toward picking up a 17C - The compensated model. The other two I'm looking at are a standard Glock 17 with the new rough texture frame or an XDM.

Would be curious to hear what anyone thought of these three, especially those with experience with the 17C. My main 9mm is a W German Sig 228; so that is what I am most familiar with in terms of feel.

Thanks all!

IMHO a full sized 9mm doesn't really need compensation. It just doesn't have that much "pop". I would never carry a compensated weapon for self defense. If you shoot it in low light conditions, the flash will give you a retenal burn that will keep you from seeing anything for a few minutes.

Glock 17 are too big to CCW, but if your thing is target, plinking, or something 17 is a good choice. For CCW, 19 is significantly easier to hide and much more popular.

Don't know too much about the XDM.

i just laugh when i see a compensated small caliber pistol. i guess if you want to play a "sandman" then its okay.

other then that, its a waste of material.

you can get it if you wish and see how you like it and if the comps actually do anything. if you do get it, it would be nice to get a range report and maybe some night shots.

you can get it if you wish and see how you like it and if the comps actually do anything. if you do get it, it would be nice to get a range report and maybe some night shots.

Ha- I was hoping somebody else would have a range report. I've read a bit online about the 17C. Most are bashes: Not safe in retention positions, bad for night engagements, G17 doesn't need compensation... But they were all by people who'd never shot one. The few reviews I've read by folks who actually have shot them like them much more than their standard 17s - especially when firing 5 to 10 shots in succession . I'm not sure if they're sincere, or are trying to justify their purchases.

As for the 19s- They feel a bit small in my hand. I don't need to conceal, so I was looking towards the 17 or even possibly a 34. Something I can accurately put 10 shots down range with in about 10 seconds.

I had a 21C, the compensated .45 ACP version. To be honest, I didn't notice much effect from the porting, other than fire shooting up in dim light. It was not that much faster on target. Of course, the 21 is a pretty soft shooting gun in the first place, much like the 17.

I currently have a 17L, the longslide version of the 9mm. It's one of my most accurate guns, and the trigger is sweeter than any Glock I've shot before, even when I've installed my own 3.5lb disconnecter, polished internals, and lighter springs. I don't know how they did it at the factory, but they did it right.

-- Sam

I would also advise against a compensated model, for the reasons already mentioned. Good choice going with a Glock though! You'll catch a lot of flak from some people, but they're great firearms. My primary carry is a G19 ;)

Take a glock out to the range, then take a real gun (not a plastic toy) along too, my suggestions would be to try a CZ-75 or variant in 9mm, then you will never turn back to clocks, I mean... glocks :p

and no you don't "need" a compensated 9mm, the only C model glock that I consider to be moderately effective is the 20C

Take a glock out to the range, then take a real gun (not a plastic toy) along too, my suggestions would be to try a CZ-75 or variant in 9mm, then you will never turn back to clocks, I mean... glocks :p

and no you don't "need" a compensated 9mm, the only C model glock that I consider to be moderately effective is the 20C

I think you might have missed part of my original post. I have a Sig P228 that I've shot since the early 90s, so I'm familiar with a "real" 9mm. I've also shot various Glocks, HKs and a handful of other 9mm handguns. I have not shot a compensated G17.

Plastic toy seems a bit harsh. They appear to be damn near indestructible and parts and magazines are available almost everywhere. Those are big selling points to me. They also spit out the same size bullets as the aforementioned handguns.

My question about compensation wasn't whether or not it was needed, but rather how it affected the performance of a G17. Fortunately someone chimed in with the answer.

I will take a look at the CZ - Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't worry, Nick is just a Glock hater. How anyone can deny the quality, durability, accuracy, and affordability of the Glock is beyond me :rolleyes::p:s0155:

I've got a 19 and a 19C, I might sell one, let me know if you decide to go the 19 route.

If you want to shoot them and are willing to pay the range fee and buy the ammo, I can meet you at "The Place to Shoot" in Delta Park one weekday at lunch time. I've got a 17 and a 35 w/ 9mm conversion barrel you can shoot too :)

Jason

I have a G17 RTF and really like the feel. I think that with the extra traction that you could be back on target quicker than a 17C. Also if you ever get into competition the 17C doesn't really fit anywhere.

My $0.02

I think you might have missed part of my original post. I have a Sig P228 that I've shot since the early 90s, so I'm familiar with a "real" 9mm. I've also shot various Glocks, HKs and a handful of other 9mm handguns. I have not shot a compensated G17.

Plastic toy seems a bit harsh. They appear to be damn near indestructible and parts and magazines are available almost everywhere. Those are big selling points to me. They also spit out the same size bullets as the aforementioned handguns.

My question about compensation wasn't whether or not it was needed, but rather how it affected the performance of a G17. Fortunately someone chimed in with the answer.

I was just trying to make joey mad with my post, it's not really a plastic toy :D

Anyways, you've already gotten the main point that the comp doesn't help the 9mm much. But as far as glock goes, the unsupported chamber, and polygonal rifling are drawbacks in my book. (rifling only an issue if you shoot lead). Also the ergonomics are horrific, and the mags and parts may be plentiful, but aren't any cheaper than most guns. But they are damn near indestructible, I ran my old one over with a jeep once (boredom).

But have you tried out an XD yet? Since it's on your list of considerations, I'm guessing you have. But after owning both Glocks and XD's, by far I prefer the XD, especially the XDm, which is mainly based on ergonomics, and the fact that it has a little bit more of a soul to it.

I was just trying to make joey mad with my post, it's not really a plastic toy :D
---
But have you tried out an XD yet? Since it's on your list of considerations, I'm guessing you have. But after owning both Glocks and XD's, by far I prefer the XD, especially the XDm, which is mainly based on ergonomics, and the fact that it has a little bit more of a soul to it.

I thought that might be the case;) - I've never been too fond of the feel of the Glocks. It's a bit like holding a grip made from legos. Just thought I would suck it up a bit, and get used to it. There's something appealing about the pure utility of the gun - it's simplicity. I've tried the new rough texture frame, and absolutely hated it. As for the XDm, I've handled one, but never shot it. I like the gun, it feels better than the Glock, but there's part of me that thinks it has too many "features" (i.e. too many things to go wrong). Ergo wise, the HK USP seems to feel the best (although not as good as my Sig). Maybe I should just get another one of them:) You have any experience with the P250?

I thought that might be the case;) - I've never been too fond of the feel of the Glocks. It's a bit like holding a grip made from legos. Just thought I would suck it up a bit, and get used to it. There's something appealing about the pure utility of the gun - it's simplicity. I've tried the new rough texture frame, and absolutely hated it. As for the XDm, I've handled one, but never shot it. I like the gun, it feels better than the Glock, but there's part of me that thinks it has too many "features" (i.e. too many things to go wrong). Ergo wise, the HK USP seems to feel the best (although not as good as my Sig). Maybe I should just get another one of them:) You have any experience with the P250?

I would say that the XD is nearly the same simplicity as the glock, and seems as reliable and tough (they use the same coating). If you dont like the feel of a gun, then I'd suggest not to force it on yourself. Some people do like the feel of glocks, and it works for them. But it's best to get what you really want first instead of after buying 3 or 4 guns.

The problem is that there are so many full size 9mms that are great guns, a few that you may have not looked at are the FNP-9 or the Armalite AR-24 (which has great reviews).

I'm not a huge sig fan, so I shoot very few of them. But I do like the concept of the 250, and the feel of the smallest frame, but I have never shot one.

I have a 17C and I have a blast with it. Its a lot of fun to shoot. If you need to convert it just get a second barrel and you have a 17 with slots in the slide. No flash to worry about. I shoot mine like this a lot also. No problem!!!!!!!

Compensators work from pressure (learned all about this from an old Springfield Armory Defender years ago). Rifle calibers and game guns (read USPSA open/unlimited guns shooting things like 9mm major, .38 Super, etc.) and other high pressure pistol cartridges can most definitely benefit from compensators. Run of the mill guns/calibers/loads and low-pressure cartridges aren't going to see much benefit from a compensator. Then there's the drawbacks to the compensator too.

As for Glocks ...it's an "acquired taste" and I'm hooked; everything considered, they can't be beat. If you like the P228 you might look into the G19

So you found a CLONE with a heart. Thats a good one!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top