JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My son has owned two (during his life - so far).

We found the first one used right here in Portland, OR. It was before the recent wave of PSLs was hitting the internet. We had a tough time finding more magazines for it. But, he later sold it off in favor of one of those Colt 901s in .308W.

The second one that he owned, he found while stationed in Yuma, AZ with the USMC. He got some free stuff with it. As usual, he played with it a while and sold it off before returning to WA.

Anyway, I bought the extra ammo off of him. Then....all that ammo was sold to another "friend of his" in AZ. So....that too was left in AZ.

BTW....I never got my money from my son for that ammo sale. Jeez.....what we parents go through.

I fired the first one he had. Even purchased another side mount for it. It was a bad fit/decision. I didn't like it, and anyway I preferred my M14/M1A platform. Not to mention, that I actually enjoy the M1 Garand more too. But that's me.

Would I buy a PSL?

Nope....not unless it's cheap.

Some old pictures of the 1st one. My son refinished the stock himself. Trying to get the color to match more closely.
Ryan-s-Camera-Pictures-027.jpg
Romanian-PSL-54-C-006.jpg

The 2nd one.

1636245244350.jpeg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
yes i have spent time shooting a PSL it's ok, as long as the scope mount is not "off" in relation to the bore and scope, if it is good luck getting it zeroed.
for the $$ now for a PSL and what ammo $$$ your better off getting a real Dragunov or SVT

I've spent time behind it. Do you enjoy AK? Do you enjoy 7.62x54R? If yes to both, is fine rifle. If its a good deal I'd go for it but other than that nah.

It's a large AK action with a thin barrel.

During my shooting, I was only using surplus ammo with it. The group (lol) was NOT pretty. Yeah....scope. LOL.

Of course if you want to......
You could try it with factory "sniper ammo" or reloads. YES. There was/is/maybe still some sniper ammo (and/or higher quality PPU or Lapua) available on the market. I got the can pictured below, right here off of the Classifieds (years ago).

Sniper-Ammo.jpg

And yeah.....the price is/was as expected.....higher than the "regular surplus lt. ball ammo". I forgot.....maybe it was like 1.5 times what the regular ammo went for (back then).

I hear/heard that the guys with Finnish M39s like the factory "sniper ammo". It has a heavier bullet and better QC. But....maybe NOT REALLY. Since they (some M39 owners anyway) tend to NOT think highly of Russian Mosin Nagants and/or the Russian Ammo. LOL, It's in their nature.

That being said.....good for me......because I've bought many cans of surplus Russian lt. ball ammo from owners who didn't want to "shoot that c#@p" out of their M39s.

As always..... "reloads" are possible IF you want to go that route.

For me, MAYBE the PSL might be worth the try again with reloads. IF, I had the time. And IF, I could find one CHEAP enough. Knowing (more or less).....that I could always sell/dump it. Yup....they look cool. And there are people out there who will pay the high price for one.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Between the PSL and Vepr, the Vepr wins. However finding a PSL is easier now.

I shot a 54c quite a few times before ditching it. Was set up with the original commie scope and all. I had a hell of a time hitting a milk jug at 400 yards..like 1 out of 10. Could have been the bubblegumty surplus ammo but I wasn't real impressed. They're a low end rifle fetching higher end prices and not worth what they sell for IMO

Last Edited:
I shot a 54c quite a few times before ditching it. Was set up with the original commie scope and all. I had a hell of a time hitting a milk jug at 400 yards..like 1 out of 10. Could have been the bubblegumty surplus ammo but I wasn't real impressed. They're a low end rifle fetching higher end prices and not worth what they sell for IMO
Much like any collector's gun, the price does not indicate performance of gun.

I bought one back when they were $700 give or take years ago. Honestly it left me underwhelmed, keep in mind though the Com Block concept of sniping is really more of a DMR role extending the range of an Infantry squad or platoon and not so much "precision" shooting" in the western context . For what it is worth though I had a Drag when they were able to be had back in 1989 - 1991 ish time frame and the $1500 I paid was too much in my mind back then , the ammo was harder to come by as well at the time. I ended up shooting some expensive Norma ammo which was 180 or 200 grain ammo and it didn't perform as well as I thought it should have.

Commie guns generally have left me unimpressed , its not that they do not work as intended . They just do not do what I want a rifle to do . YMMV

For what a PSL sells for these days I would not pay the price of admission.

yes i have spent time shooting a PSL it's ok, as long as the scope mount is not "off" in relation to the bore and scope, if it is good luck getting it zeroed.
for the $$ now for a PSL and what ammo $$$ your better off getting a real Dragunov or SVT
You know what a real Dragunov and SVT cost? And they all shoot the same ammo!

Much like any collector's gun, the price does not indicate performance of gun.
I thought they were still in production though? They're not banned from import or anything but yeah I get it…back when I had one they were more common then now I guess…definitely wouldn't want one at the prices they fetch now they're fun but not that fun 😂

I thought they were still in production though? They're not banned from import or anything but yeah I get it…back when I had one they were more common then now I guess…definitely wouldn't want one at the prices they fetch now they're fun but not that fun 😂
Status of import doesn't matter. They're made still but not many get imported.

It took a while before I could spend any amount of time firing the one I had. The magazines that came with it were problematic and would never feed correctly. Once I got that problem to subside(for a few rounds) I was able to spend a little time firing it. The trigger was decent for what it was. The accuracy? Well, the one I had was all over the place. I sold it shortly thereafter and to be honest, I never regretted it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top