Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone have any knowledge on pre-ban tec-9?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by joshp3, May 21, 2013.

1. joshp3

joshp3 molalla Member

I recently acquired my first and most likely only ever tec-9. Made by intratec in Miami. It does fire from closed bolt. I put about 12 rounds through it with about 4 jams! Any advise on how to make this damn thing cycle better would be much appreciated!

2. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

I have a tec 22
    Had the same problem
    Make sure the barrel is turned
    If extractors can't go past barrel face it won't grab base.
    After allot of tweaking and some sanding and filing. I can now get thru a ten round mag with only one or two fail to ejects. Good luck.

3. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

What kind of ammo are you using? 115gr FMJ (Winchester/Remington) is usually about the only kind of ammo that works decent in these. Heavier loads and +P ammo can even crack the receiver. Hollowpoints don't feed good in them either.

Does it have the original mag? If it's an aftermarket mag, there's probably not anything you can do to make it function good.

Even with proper ammo and a good mag these guns aren't usually very reliable though.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had one of about the same generation as yours. After burning through a 30 rd mag with it and dealing with its inability to hit anything but the forest. I solved all the functional and operational problems I was having with it.

I took it to the Seaside Gun show and at about the 4th table found the next Smuck to trade it to for a cute little Llama miniture 1911 in .380ACP. It also couldn't hit a damn thing but it functioned beautifully and actually fit in a pocket or holster.

Of the maybe 20-25 firearms I have had and then sold or traded off the TEC-9 is at the top of a list of 3 I do not regret selling or trading off.

5. Ligito

Ligito Oregon Active Member

I knew a guy that had a full auto TEC-9.
    It shot very well but it had a filed sear and I told him not to trust it.

6. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I sold a Tec-9 on here that I had for 20+ years. Must have been a good one because it fired 99 out of a 100 times with no issues. Was even as accurate as a Glock 26 at 25y. Miss it, but into suppressors now and it had those funky threads.

Brutus57 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

You done acquired a P@S, so sorry. Ask me how I know

8. Burt Gummer

Blitzkrieg and his Tec-22! Bang, Bang, umm ....

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

With all the 'good' guns out there I cannot imagine owning anything that is inconsistent or inaccurate.

10. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Friends don't let friends buy Tec-9's.

11. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

I purchase new a gen1 way back in the day and still have it. No problems for me.

Can we get more details in the problem I.e. FTF, FTE original mags ammo bring used etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

More like one bang and no ejection

13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Tec-9's are designed to be fired, held sideways! That is, with the ejection port up.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I thought you had to be dressed in Miami vice threads and be shooting at a Ferrari or Lamborghini for them to work right unless it was the first generation.

15. joshp3

joshp3 molalla Member

Ok so basically I need to go tanning...get a vice shirt and a nice gold chain...shave the chest?! Nope...that's crossing the line lol il hold it sideways and give that a try! Haha all joking aside I did get this thing in a decent deal but it drove me batbubblegum mad when I shot it! What I have found so far is the extractor being a bit limp, wouldn't hold a round in the seat. So I firmed that up and I will fire it again today and see if it improves a bit. Next is the barrel/chamber. I will look that over and see about maybe a good polish. I will look into the barrel position too and see how it looks. I am using original mags as far as I know? 3/4-10 threads btw...very different from most things that's for sure. I will be sure to report back because in all honesty I'd hate for anyone else to ever have one of these and by some chance need to use it to defend themselves and the damn thing doesn't cycle!

16. Burt Gummer

I was holding the extended barrel shroud as a grip at The Place to Shoot once and it went full auto, like a buzz saw (bump fired). I threw it under my coat, smoke everywhere and started shooting my .22 pistol LOL.

In the early 90s and I didn't know what bump fire even was - I thought I put it back together wrong after cleaning it a somehow made it full auto. Scary at the time, but fun.

17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Perhaps if you just trimmed the chest hair? Actually, kind of interested in the outcome! Good luck!

Whoa! Just read my post! Interested in the 9mm outcome, not the chest hair results!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  18. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I knew someone that had the same thing...until he had to get stiches because that damn thing blew the back out from the pounding. I had one and without reiterating all the points above...had is the operative word!

19. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I owned one way back and they just plain suck, basically worthless with the aftermarket mags. I bought mine new early 90's sold long long time ago

20. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

I had one in the 90's too and dumped it as quick as I could after firing a few mags through it.