JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been kicking around building a new LR rifle on one of the xtra actions i have squirreled away.
Right now i am using a 700 based .30X8MM Mag with 220G MK's,does the job,but the throat is eroding and losing some of it accuracy,3206 FPS will do that :(
After looking at the history,and ballistics of the round it is impressive to say the least.
28 MOA from 100-1000 yds :D
Yes i know brass is expensive,but i can live with that.
From some of the reading,they claim that it is accurate and lethal out to 1200 yards.
So,anyone here have any actual hands on experience with the round?
Just looking for input to help make a decision.

I have no experience with the lapua, but I have always wanted a gun chambered in it. I dont think Ive ever seen any 700s built with .338 lapua. Ive always been eyeballing sako's

It depends on what you are using it for. Its got great terminal ballistics, but might not make the greatest target gun.

I have no experience with the lapua, but I have always wanted a gun chambered in it. I dont think Ive ever seen any 700s built with .338 lapua. Ive always been eyeballing sako's

It depends on what you are using it for. Its got great terminal ballistics, but might not make the greatest target gun.

I have more actions than just the 700s,a couple MDL70's pre and post '64,a Stolle (maybe too small),FN Mauser.
Interesting on the accuracy point,especially since the CIA was first to have the research done to combat the Russians when they were in Afghanistan.
They wanted a LR round that could be shot over the long distances of the rocky canyons in that country.
Due to lack of funding they dropped the idea,hence AI and Lapua picked up on it and made it what it is today.
A Sako would be nice to build off of...if i can find one cheap enough.
Thanks for the input.

Actually it is interesting that you brought this up.

I am looking into getting the Stealth Recon Scout Rifle in .338 LM.

Here is the link,

http://deserttacticalarms.com/index.html

Now, as a dealer, I get the best pricing if I order 3 units. I know I am getting one, so if anyone else wants to get in on this, I will only charge EXACT dealer pricing per gun.

This will allow us to get these guns with a pretty good savings, not great, but pretty darn good.

Just a thought I have been kicking around.

I have shot the AI .338LM extensively.

My very first shot took out the 'driver' and 'radio operator' of a target Landrover at a measured 1558m. After that it got pretty boring.

It has more going for it, ballistically-speaking, than just about any calibre on the planet that does not begin with a '5'.

It will also make you a pauper, even if you reload. Unless, of course, you are rich.

The brass might be easy to get ahold of these days, but suitable match bullets [why shoot anything else?] are not the cheapest and the powder charges, at around 90gr a pop, will make a big hole in a can of powder pretty quickly - dependent on load, 75 charges per pound seems about right.

Still the fun is immense, a bit like the noise, especially with the optional muzzle brake - NOBODY will come anywhere hear you, I promise.

BTW, your comment 'lethal out to 1200 yards' is a bit naive. It was designed to penetrate all NATO body armour at 1000m, but will happily shoot through it, front through back, at 1450m, from personal shooting experience. My first shot at a LandRover, at over 1500m, went through the windshield, the dummy driver, the seat, the radio behind the seat, and the 'radio operator' transversely through both hips.

That sounds pretty 'lethal' to me.

tac

:eek:

Just as a point of info;

If you are going to do a 338 LM, 338 Ultra, Axe, or Edge in a bolty or single shot, you will need a barrel length of at least 30 inches, 33-34 is better. Its the only way to take advantage of the great amount of powder in these large cases. Otherwise, just settle on the 338 Winmag. Also, a 300 grain bullet has advantages in both BC and mass. Sierra makes one so did Wildcat (Canada) and several of "us" are trying to talk Nosler into making a 300 grain Accubond.

How do I know this stuff? A buddy is doing a 338 Edge on a Ruger #1 with a 34 inch barrel.

ETA: He is expecting 3200 fps with a 300 grainer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top