1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an AR upper receiver block that can help me out?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by lucky strike, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. lucky strike

    lucky strike Woodburn Member

    Likes Received:
    I have a Tac Sol .22lr upper that came with a free float tube and I'm wanting to replace it with a YHM free float quad rail that I plan on ordering this weekend.

    I don't have an upper vice block or even a vice so I was wondering if there was anyone out there between portland and salem area that could help me swap these fore ends out.

    My buddy has a vice but I'm too afraid of warping/crushing something to try and do it with wood pieces instead of a proper receiver block.
  2. alexwa

    alexwa Kirkland, King County, WA New Member

    Likes Received:
    The aluminium is pretty soft, without the block you risk compressing the bolt carrier headspace.

    You can do it without a block/vice though, put the upper on the ground, place the ar wrench in place and tap the wrench with a hammer.