JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just like the title says - I'm just wondering if someone has a P89 or P89DC that they would be willing to put a micrometer on to measure the outside diameter of the barrel?

Don't ask why....it's classified...so only Hillary knows ;)

Thanks!

Are the barrels the same for 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp?
I'm pretty sure the P85 and P89 were made in 9mm parabellum only. The later P series had a .45 DAO, and I can't recall if a .40 S&W was popularly made (?)

If you don't know, the P85 was Ruger's entry into the DoD's new standard issue sidearm quest, that was to give us the Beretta M9. Personally, although I never have shot a Beretta M9, the Ruger is practically indestructible and my personal favorite and edc for 15+ years.

Are the barrels the same for 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp?

No, not the same.

I'm pretty sure the P85 and P89 were made in 9mm parabellum only. The later P series had a .45 DAO, and I can't recall if a .40 S&W was popularly made (?)

If you don't know, the P85 was Ruger's entry into the DoD's new standard issue sidearm quest, that was to give us the Beretta M9. Personally, although I never have shot a Beretta M9, the Ruger is practically indestructible and my personal favorite and edc for 15+ years.

Ruger made the P91 in .40SW, it was the same model years as the P89. I've got the P91DC, bought off a member here, but folks that know me know I like to get multiple calibers out of guns when I can. I know I can swap an entire complete slide, but finding a P89DC slide assembly is pretty hard - and you can only put DC slides on DC lowers - they won't interchange with regular slides. I was kind of hoping a barrel swap would work, but it doesn't look like it.

I had a p89dc way back in '91. Great little pistol, just not as accurate as my 3rd. gen. smiths..

I've owned two P89's in the past, neither was the DC model, but I always wanted one. I like having the P91DC in .40SW, but wouldn't mind topping the frame with an 89DC slide as well.

My first pistol was a P89 I bought brand new. It has since been sold. Good shooter. 12,000+ rounds without a failure (besides a few bum primers). A boat anchor but reliable like the sun rising.

My first pistol was a P89 I bought brand new. It has since been sold. Good shooter. 12,000+ rounds without a failure (besides a few bum primers). A boat anchor but reliable like the sun rising.

Built like a tank and about as reliable as my old cap and ball, but a lot cleaner to shoot :p... I really liked my p89dc. Wish I would have hung on to that one too.

What you are wanting to do isn't too far out there IMHO. Looks like Ruger did it themselves but only from 9mm to .30 Luger.

Yeah, there is a listing on GB for a complete Ruger P89DC slide barreled in .30 Luger. It would be an option I'd consider if the price wasn't more than I would have to pay for an entire P89DC used. I know there are still a few makers of .30 Luger ammo, but it's probably not one I'd want to get into. Interesting that Ruger went that way though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top