JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought a bolt action rifle in Vancouver 2 weeks ago. Tropics turned us down on transfer for no appointment. Went to R W Pawn, $20 transfer and out the door with rifle 1/2 hr.

same thing here going today to start over, thats bs they wont tell before u find out from someone else , never again.,

Absolute shady business practices you can call them right now and they'll do your transfer if you're in Clark County but they won't tell you that you're at minimum 12 weeks out I will never use tropics plan going forward. Any standup company with integrity would let the customer know hey we're having problems with our license you probably should go somewhere else not take your money pretend to do a transfer and then have to go to the hassle of moving your firearm to another FFL 12 weeks down the road

Its has been confirmed to me that the county did bubblegum many FFLs over.

I get it.
Just pisses me off that they didnt say anything... They were just going to let me sit here in total ignorance until March.

Its has been confirmed to me that the county did bubblegum many FFLs over.

I get it.
Just pisses me off that they didnt say anything... They were just going to let me sit here in total ignorance until March.

Yes they did
But still,they could let people know when they go to transfer hey it could be 2 months

bought a new gun a few weeks ago...
Holidays, weekends, etc.... 11 business days pass and I call to see the status.

Was told that their license or whatever with Clark County had lapsed and the Sheriffs office was not processing BGCs until they reapplied.

Tropics said it would be another week.

I called the county and they said it was more like 2-3weeks before Tropics' application was approved, not to mention however long it took them to process the actual 4473s

WTF... no call or anything. Theyre just going to let it go 2 months before I get my gun?

Thankfully they offered to refund my transfer fee and deliver the gun to another FFL in town so I can get taken care of.

Give them a call and

Was told that their license or whatever with Clark County had lapsed and the Sheriffs office was not processing BGCs until they reapplied.

I called the county and they said it was more like 2-3weeks before Tropics' application was approved, not to mention however long it took them to process the actual 4473s

WTF... no call or anything. Theyre just going to let it go 2 months before I get my gun?

Thankfully they offered to refund my transfer fee and deliver the gun to another FFL in town so I can get taken care of.

Give them a call and raise a little hell and see if you can get your transfer done elsewhere, I used Americas Pawn on Mill Plain by 205. Their fee is $35 (cash)

The people at Tropics blamed the county and said that other shops have had the same issue.... any of you guys have a gun stuck at an FFL because of this?

a little hell and see if you can get your transfer done elsewhere, I used Americas Pawn on Mill Plain by 205. Their fee is $35 (cash)

The people at Tropics blamed the county and said that other shops have had the same issue.... any of you guys have a gun stuck at an FFL because of this?
We have never implyed this was county's fault, The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let there Washington dealers license laps and they will continue background checks once its reinstated.

Give them a call and raise a little hell and see if you can get your transfer done elsewhere, I used Americas Pawn on Mill Plain by 205. Their fee is $35 (cash)

We have never implied this was county's fault; The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let their Washington dealer's license lapse and they will continue background checks once it's reinstated. No "hell" has to be raised, I have made arrangements with Brass Tacks Munitions to accept transfers from us and we will issue a full refund of any money collected from us. I had no idea it would take so long to resolve this issue. If I had, we would have stopped scheduling transfers until it was resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused in the delay of your firearms purchase.

Last Edited:
Just got off the phone with them and arranged to have my firearm sent to Fin and Feather in Ridgefield. Very nice people and they will release after 11 business days if they haven't heard back from the county. Part of this Tropics limbo is the county's extreme delay, part of it is Tropics policy on not releasing the firearm until they hear an approval. I get it, but its a huge inconvenience on a lot of people who have done tons of transfers at Tropics over the years. I've probably done a transfer there with half the people on this thread.

Finn and Feather is a good place, @Mike aka BandAid is a really good guy. :cool:

We have never implyed this was county's fault, The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let there Washington dealers license laps and they will continue background checks once its reinstated.

We have never implied this was county's fault; The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let their Washington dealer's license lapse and they will continue background checks once it's reinstated. No "hell" has to be raised, just give us a call and we will deliver your firearm to any nearby dealer and issue a full refund. I had no idea it would take so long to resolve this issue. If I had, we would have stopped scheduling transfers until it was resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused in the delay of your firearms purchase.

I was told by staff that the county was to blame. Either way, same outcome.

Really have no beef with you guys, been a long time customer (though the appointment thing is silly).
Just a call when the problem was realized or a heads up when filling out the 4473 wouldve been great.

Just to leave us hanging for what couldve been a couple months was not cool.

We have never implied this was county's fault; The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let their Washington dealer's license lapse and they will continue background checks once it's reinstated. No "hell" has to be raised, just give us a call and we will deliver your firearm to any nearby dealer and issue a full refund. I had no idea it would take so long to resolve this issue. If I had, we would have stopped scheduling transfers until it was resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused in the delay of your firearms purchase.
Confirming, will we have to pay for the shipping to another store? Because when I called this morning Tom said that I would need to pay to have my firearm shipped to Fin and Feather. Which doesn't seem right especially after paying your transfer fee already?

IMHO....if the FFL is good (in order).
Why?

So....why....is there a need for another WA Lic?

Once again.....I default to.....blame the Govt.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......I could be wrong about this being a WA Lic issue. But then....the next default is.

"....shall not be infringed."

IMHO......License a FREEDOM/RIGHT? Yeah.....we got some GIANT PROBLEMS with reading comprehension in this country.

Last Edited:
IMHO this post is garbage

I disagree.

1. Good info to prevent other people from even driving there while problems exist.

2. Tropics should've called their stranded customers to update them, at least.

In Tropics response, above, they suggested that letting their business license lapse was an accepted practice. Until it's not.

If Tropics is charging the stranded customers shipping to an alternate delivering FFL, that is shabby. Tropics should absorb that as a cost of doing business. Tropics admits fault, it's not the customers' burden to bear.

We have never implied this was county's fault; The blame is entirely my fault (Dan). Several gun shops in the Vancouver area have let their Washington dealer's license lapse and they will continue background checks once it's reinstated. No "hell" has to be raised, I have made arrangements with Brass Tacks Munitions to accept transfers from us and we will issue a full refund of any money collected from us. I had no idea it would take so long to resolve this issue. If I had, we would have stopped scheduling transfers until it was resolved. Sorry for any inconvenience I have caused in the delay of your firearms purchase.
I'm sorry but that is just not the way to do business. Your admitting fault but not taking care of the customers......:s0098:

I'll not be coming back myself. Sorry but charging them shipping and not refunding the ffl fee?:s0123:

I'm sorry but that is just not the way to do business. Your admitting fault but not taking care of the customers......:s0098:

I'll not be coming back myself. Sorry but charging them shipping and not refunding the ffl fee?:s0123:

They refunded the ffl fee and delivered mine to my another FFL. I think they have done a good job handling it now,should have stopped transfers in the mean time tho IMO

They refunded the ffl fee and delivered mine to my another FFL. I think they have done a good job handling it now,should have stopped transfers in the mean time tho IMO
That's semi better but the others in the thread made it seem they kept the fee and charged shipping ..... Still not explaining and leaving folks unarmed in this time is bad

I'll likely never use their services, being in potland, but it's good to see the owner register and come forward admitting they were at fault. It would be really, really easy to blame the state. Every one knows the Northwest states aren't doing anything for gun owners except make things more difficult.
I've got "Tropics" in my head now. If I ever need an FFL in Wa I'm likely to think of them.

Oh no the nak9mm is stuck for that long my apologies bro I had no idea again my apologies
Not your fault, just can't wait to have it in hand! They delivered to another ffl, so starting from scratch on the 10+ day wait, and thankful for this thread, otherwise I guess I wouldn't have known there was an issue. Appreciate you, our interaction was flawless.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top