JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if anyone out there has or has owned a black powder muzzle loading cannon. Full scale, 1/2 scale, 1/4 scale or homemade. Just wondering how spendy they are to fire, what kind of powder charges you used, etc. I've had a couple black powder pistols but other than that don't know much about the old school guns.

I have friends with a couple different types

one had a 8lb bowling ball motar. That took up to 1/4lb of powder to fire and of course a 8lb bowling ball (most were reusable)

Another friend has a 1.875" bore Mountain Howitzer (breach loading rifled barrel) and it fired either a 1.875"D lead ball or a large pill bottle full of shot (he used .50 cal ead balls) and about an ounce of powder I think. This gun was scarry accurate he could from a cold bore setup and hit a basket ball sized target at 200 yards on the first shot.

YOU should be able to do some googling and find a Civil War recreator group close by that has an artilery unit.

I have friends with a couple different types

one had a 8lb bowling ball motar. That took up to 1/4lb of powder to fire and of course a 8lb bowling ball (most were reusable)

Another friend has a 1.875" bore Mountain Howitzer (breach loading rifled barrel) and it fired either a 1.875"D lead ball or a large pill bottle full of shot (he used .50 cal ead balls) and about an ounce of powder I think. This gun was scarry accurate he could from a cold bore setup and hit a basket ball sized target at 200 yards on the first shot.

YOU should be able to do some googling and find a Civil War recreator group close by that has an artilery unit.

so about how much does it cost each time he fires it?

Black powder is about $18.00 a pound locally Lead is about 1.50 a lb locally I'm sure you can do the math As to the Bowling balls well I guess that depends on which garage sale you would get them at.

Every different size of cannon is going to cost different based on the powder load and what you send down range.

if your shooting 6 oz tomato paste can full of cement its going to cost less then a soild lead round ball or Maxi ball. etc.

Dixie Gun Works used to be a great source of cannon stuff, and the catalog had a wealth of narrative info about cannons. Don't know if that is still the case, as my catalog is older.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top