JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to make a leather holster to fit the Ruger Judge as a gift for a friend. I'd like to borrow a blue gun replica to mold the leather for that custom fit. Any luck with that? (Aren't you glad I didn't ask to borrow your real Judge?)

Bill

Why not just wrap the real gun in plastic food wrap and do it?

No need for the plastic wrap, I've done thousands of holsters using the real thing will very minimal wear over that time. Heck my S&W 340PD has been used for at least 1,000 holsters over the last 4-1/2 years and doesn't show any more wear than was there to start.

Sorry but it's one of the few blue guns I don't have.

It's a Foodsaver Game Saver Sport.

I just soak the leather untill it's like a sponge, squeeze the water out and wring it in a spiral to stretch it. Run it through the machine for the outer perimeter stitch and put it in the bag, etc etc. Works fine and makes crisp lines. The only downside is that you have to be carefull that the bag doesn't wrinkle or it leaves impressions.

Yes, soaking the leather toughens it up. I apply saddle soap to soften it a bit.

On cold days; 2 hours. On warm days; a half of an hour. Just put them in the bag in a window so it 'sets' and then open, clean, stitch. I also prefer to leave the gun in untill the leather appears to be fully dry. It isn't of course, just on the surface. Takes a couple days or so for it to dry all the way through.

Edit; This isn't a very common way to mold leather. Just the way I do it.

I'd like to use the real gun, but, it's 2 hours away and I can't borrow it for the next two weeks til I see him again.

I may need to make a basic pattern, a little larger, and wet mold it when I see him. Then bring it back, trim, sew, stain and finish it off. That's kind of a hassel, however, not having the physical thing to work into the leather. I've got a call out to my leather crafter buds and we'll see if any blue guns turn up there.

Bill

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads