JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got lucky a months ago twice at MidwayUSA. First they had boxes of 200 rounds of BlackHills for about $500 and then few days later they had boxes of 200 rounds of Federal Fusion for about the same price, so I got 400 rounds. Moreover, I had about 60 rounds of Grizzly +P and Federal Fusion, so I am set for next few months. I go to a shooting range every weekend and I pop about 40 rounds. Lately I got back shooting my Ruger GP100 and I start enjoying it. I had a rear sight issue on my GP100 for few years and I ignored it. After 30-40 rounds elevation adjustment will lose its position and gun would start shooting too high. Finally I found on eBay rear sight assembly and easily replaced it, and now the gun shoots perfect and after about 200 rounds the gun still shoots very accurately, so the I was able to fix the sight problem. I am now in love with that revolver. I went from hating it to loving it. After I put the new rear sight assembly I inspected the old problematic sight and the problem was the elevation screw that had damaged treads. I purchased this gun used in a gun store in Boulder, CO and had the issue since day one. I just was too lazy to fix it and after every 30-40 rounds I had to sight-in the gun. I wasted hundreds of rounds just on sighting the rear sight. Now I am running out of 357 Mag ammo (have about 50 rounds left) and need to find some more 357 Mag or 38 Special.

The side discussion in this thread is of interest to me. I just bought a Uberti Winchester Model 1885 (most likely the second strongest single shot after the Ruger) And once the OSP firearms unit gets they heads out of their dark place and let me take possession of it. I will be cooking up some rounds for it. While the Crescent butt plate is not the best choice for hot rounds. The version I have has a 32" barrel and its pretty heavy rifle on par with my Hawkin style Muzzle loader with a 34" barrel. So I am hoping its tolerable.

The side discussion in this thread is of interest to me. I just bought a Uberti Winchester Model 1885 (most likely the second strongest single shot after the Ruger) And once the OSP firearms unit gets they heads out of their dark place and let me take possession of it. I will be cooking up some rounds for it. While the Crescent butt plate is not the best choice for hot rounds. The version I have has a 32" barrel and its pretty heavy rifle on par with my Hawkin style Muzzle loader with a 34" barrel. So I am hoping its tolerable.
Have fun with it. I think ith the recent ammo prices, the smartest choice is to get a single shot rifle.

Today I was shooting 4 rounds of Grizzly 460 gr +P ammo with my Henry 45-70 Lever Action and the rifle had a hard time ejecting empty shells. Loading and shooting was smooth, but to eject each empty shell I had to pull the lever really hard and do it multiple times. Any other ammo that I shot with this rifle ejected with no issues. In fact, after shooting +P ammo, I shot 16 more rounds of regular factory ammo and did not have any issues. Interestingly, when I got this rifle new 6 month ago I shot few rounds of the same +P load and the rifle was ejecting better (just slight bump when pulling the lever) +P loads when it was new than now. Has anyone experienced this issue with +P loads?
I have a henry side gate .45-70 and from the first round fired when it was new have had no issues with ejection . The ONLY ammo ive ever used is Underwood +P 225gr. in this gun....however...i do have to jiggle the lever when im pulling it back up because the fresh round hangs up on the nose of the bullet but it always loads and never gets stuck. I can hit a hot hands warmer every time at 200yds ..no bullet drop..none .

At the risk of another side discussion.........What are those squared sharp indentations on the sides of the casings?.

I shoot a Marlin 95 in 45-70 and have never had a case come out looking like that.

Do you need +p 45-70 load? I was under the perception that a standard power load was enough for anything in North America. Personally I would think lower recoil would lead to faster follow up shots if an additional shot is needed. I would personally view a second shot as more critical. I have a Marlin and a t/c encore in 45-70. (I have some absolutely mammoth subsonics for the TC for firing suppressed)

I am trying to find out the max pressure for my Henry and also to find out what pressure is generated by these hot +P loads. I am wondering if these loads are producing pressure too high for the rifle.
Bingo. Contact Grizzly and see if they have pressure tested their ammo. "+P" unless done to any existing SAAMI standard (and their may not be one), is a wide open field. You could also contact Henry and get their ammo rec.

As to "+P" or other high pressure ammo, think: Ruger #1, built like a bank vault. Levers? Not so much. Cannot see the primers. What do they look like?

Last Edited:
I think you are correct. It is most likely overpressure in the chamber from +P loads. I did read the manual multiple times and could not find much info about max rifle internal pressure. Some internet sources claim 28,000 psi (~1867 Barrs), some claim it is higher. Anyway, I will avoid using these +P loads and shoot just regular loads. These +P loads are overkill anyway. They do sound "sexy" like an artillery shell.
Think: Ruger #1, built like a bank vault. Levers? Not so much. Cannot see the primers. What do they look like?

It has been a while since I made this post and since I shot 45-70, but I remember calling Henry Customer service and they told me that +P loads exceed max pressure. According to their customer service guy (he knew his trade), +p loads are mostly for single shot rifles. Lately I shoot precision calibers and I sold my Henry 45-70.

It has been a while since I made this post and since I shot 45-70, but I remember calling Henry Customer service and they told me that +P loads exceed max pressure. According to their customer service guy (he knew his trade), +p loads are mostly for single shot rifles. Lately I shoot precision calibers and I sold my Henry 45-70.
Sorry for the necro-reply.