Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone got a 1911 front site tool?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Beta1759, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

So I got myself a new kimber 1911 in 9mm and bought some new sights for it. I was able to remove the rear sight using a sight pusher tool, but then realized it didn't work for the removal of the front sight!

Anyone have the front sight removal tool (dovetail) that I can use? Or have a DIY tip for doing this without damage? I am willing to compensate and come to you/ meet you somewhere.

I live in Beaverton right off 26w and Murray rd. also a member at TCGC.

Thanks guys!

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Use a piece of delrin or some other type of coated punch.. A square block of plastic that will fit square up against the front blade.. Just give it a tap to the right ( towards the ejection side) may pop it loose..

A good piece of hardwood will also work..

3. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

Kimber sight are notorious for being very tight! I have sight pusher that I could loan if you want to pay shipping to and from (I'm in So. Oregon) looks like this but Cerakote black...
    IMG_0150.jpg

Blackcobra likes this.
  4. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I'm sure you have checked, but some Kimbers have very small roll pins holding the front sight.

orygun likes this.
  5. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

orygun likes this.
  6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

If you ever get your big old Trinitron looked at by a genuine TV repairman, don't ever go to the guy I went to. Right off the bat he'd slap dab that behemoth face down on a horse blanket laden with gravel and squirm it about for about twenty minutes. never could figure it out

7. user

user Corvallis, OR Member

There's an excellent gunsmith in Salem. His name is Kevin (503) 930-5160. I just bought two sets of sights for two of my Kimbers and he charged me $50 to put them on while I waited.

8. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

big thanks to techieguy for sending me his tool. it worked great!

Certaindeaf and Blackcobra like this.