JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember my dads friend dropping a bottle of crown royal down an ice fishing hole. I suspect there were a lot of alcoholic activities that occurred out on the ice.

OP - check out Phillips Reservoir. Been years since I've done it there, but I think it's still a viable option. Like Lake of the Woods, it would be a long drive from Woodburn, too long for just a day trip.

Maybe someone in the know can chime in.

I didn't know I was excited for ice fishing season, but I am now after this post. Guess it's time to dig through some of those boxes from Minnesota that I haven't opened in way too many years. I'll have to check out some of these spots you've all been talking about this winter. Now this winter just has to get here already!

OP - check out Phillips Reservoir. Been years since I've done it there, but I think it's still a viable option. Like Lake of the Woods, it would be a long drive from Woodburn, too long for just a day trip.

Maybe someone in the know can chime in.
Thought about going last winter but water levels are not very good there (from what I heard from friends in baker) but I also heard they have tiger muskies in there… would be fun to pull one of them through the ice!!

I didn't know I was excited for ice fishing season, but I am now after this post. Guess it's time to dig through some of those boxes from Minnesota that I haven't opened in way too many years. I'll have to check out some of these spots you've all been talking about this winter. Now this winter just has to get here already!
Absolutely right! Only good part about winter is ice fishing IMO. Hopefully we it's a decent one

there is very little that i would rather do less.. ice pfishing blows my freaken mind
lol.. i didnt even mean to post this, just opened my phone and there it was

so since ive done got myself in the thread, ill expound: i would rather get eyeball acupuncture

freezing cold
water
fishing
sitting

about the only part that isnt repulsive to my soul is the copious consumption of whiskey

but yall do yall! i know people that are all about it. ill never get it, but people definitely dont "get" a lot of the bubblegum i do

I enjoyed ice fishing more than hunting in the middle of those Minnesotan winters. A fish house beat a tree stand any day for me. At least I was warm, could listen to the high school basketball tournament on the radio, and play way too many games of cribbage while fishing. And the walleye and sauger at the end of the day with some creamed corn and mashed potatoes made for some great dreams. Although having to run out in the cold in the middle of the night to take a leak was never fun, unless the Northern Lights were giving you a show, then the cold wasn't so bad.

I enjoyed ice fishing more than hunting in the middle of those Minnesotan winters. A fish house beat a tree stand any day for me. At least I was warm, could listen to the high school basketball tournament on the radio, and play way too many games of cribbage while fishing. And the walleye and sauger at the end of the day with some creamed corn and mashed potatoes made for some great dreams. Although having to run out in the cold in the middle of the night to take a leak was never fun, unless the Northern Lights were giving you a show, then the cold wasn't so bad.
Well, it's even worse than I thought. "Creamed Corn"....:s0170: :s0099:

Still, I wish it was something I was into.

Q : Is it anything like this?
hqdefault.jpg

Aloha, Mark

We use to take snow mobiles out on the ice
If you start noticing water spray don't slow down. Turning around as fast as you can might be prudent

True story: In college my buddy Tom was a great sportsman and said we needed to ice fish a couple mornings per week. We'd get up around 430, drive out to the lake, drag an orange sled with gear out, auger thru the ice, fish for an hour or 2, then head back to campus and eat a hot breakfast. It sucked. We did catch some decent trout. But it still sucked. At end of season I said no wouldn't miss ice fishing.

Tom said, "Ben, I'm going to tell you what my old man told me about this. It taught me a lot. Ben…" and he looked me right in the eye, all serious and intent…

"Ice fishing sucks!"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads