JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone as exited as I am for I've fishing season?? I absolutely love it! Nothing better than perch through the ice. The trout are fun to catch but the ones I catch get to swim another day.

Dec 2020 Lake Cascade

0FBFF8FD-2168-490C-8561-505105A4BFAE.jpeg
EB5760CE-2F08-4EA2-924E-6E667B1D2A12.jpeg 422DD5D8-6E72-45E7-B576-8FEDCD346240.jpeg
D3B8690D-85A8-4232-BA2C-983508D7656A.jpeg

Mar 2020 Lake of the Woods
B43FBD18-4D09-4052-991A-6C46AF264D8C.jpeg
E8CA300F-AF5F-4EE4-A1C4-A05AAC930801.jpeg
8769AB1C-8D31-4579-897B-ACE6B0A6070F.jpeg
9C672C9D-E363-4A22-B266-3B838CD7CC76.jpeg

Feb 2020 Chickahominy reservoir
My buddy first time ice fishing and my curious dog
2819E721-D06C-4B7F-B027-B059248FF9BE.jpeg

It is not at least last year. There is public land and parking right past the resort (not sure if you a need a snow pass?) I'm originally from Wisconsin so still figuring out the rules here. I stay at the resort in a cabin, I like to have some beers during my adventure! And it's a long drive.

Born and raised in Northern Wisconsin. Really miss the ice fishing. Took many trips to the real Lake of the Woods! Would love to go back there one of these winters
My family has a cabin in Wheeler, MN. It's really something seeing the "town" appear out on the ice with roads and houses and all the fun people. Made some awesome memories on the real Lake Of The Woods as you called it. Actually thought that's what you were referencing in your picture and got all nostalgic :)

My family has a cabin in Wheeler, MN. It's really something seeing the "town" appear out on the ice with roads and houses and all the fun people. Made some awesome memories on the real Lake Of The Woods as you called it. Actually thought that's what you were referencing in your picture and got all nostalgic :)
It's hard to explain to people that have not seen "towns" appear on the ice. Especially when you tell them about full size trucks and travel trailers (Ice shacks). The people are just as fun as the fishing. I can imagine. The lake of the woods in my photos is actually in Oregon, between Medford and K Falls. Definitely not the same though

We used to have to auger through 3ft thick ice, in 30 below temps, but...
...we always managed to catch enough crystal-clear ice for our drinks back at the cabin. :s0155:

Otherwise, ice fishing just left me cold! :s0092:

True story; Four buddies and I were ice fishing at the cabin of one of those buddies on Catastrophe Lake, in Northwestern Ontario, and despite all of our best efforts actually managed to catch an 18" pike. It froze solid within about 1 minute. Anyways, he decided he was going to take it home for his dad and hung it on a tree near the cabin, about 2 ft. off the ground, as we all retired to the cabin for a night of cards and booze.
The next morning after a long night of drinking, he stumbled out to get the fish and to wrap it in newspapers to bring home... unfortunately, it was solidly frozen to the tree under what looked like a 4" thick coating of solid yellow ice. Seems as the night wore on and five guys frequently needed to drain the ol' booze filter, and apparently we all choose the same tree to do it.
We had to heat a big pot of water to melt that pike off that tree so he could bring it home.

Last Edited:
I learned at about age six, the best way to beat the chilly January wind on Lake Winnebago (Wisconsin) is PB&J sandwiches washed down with hot coffee. Well, that and letting Dad run for the tip-ups.

Last Edited:
Anyone as exited as I am for I've fishing season??
Actually? NO. Not in the slightest. Not even a little bit. I wouldn't even go for steelhead while it was snowing and I was wading up to my berries, in neoprene chest waders of course, if I were catching a 10#+ fish every 20 minutes!

This is more our style of perch catchin'...

1638550351818.jpeg

But I do envy YOU being able to get into that and enjoy it.

The fun of ice fishing isn't the fishing itself. It's the excuse to get whiskey drunk on a frozen lake then remove most of your clothing and make snow angels on the ice. Then never speak of it again with your friends until the next year when the cycle repeats.

If a fish is caught it's just a bonus. And yes, people with ice houses are wimps ;)

Nice looking perch! Is that here in Oregon?

Also have you ever tried fish that came through the ice? Night and day difference! I don't eat fresh water fish unless they come through the ice.
Central coast lakes pretty much all hold perch. Numbers and sizes go through cycles every few-5-6 years.

I'm sure there's something different about those cold water fish! I'd think the trout would have to be better in those circumstances. As long as they'd been in the water long enough to have naturally red/orange meat. You sure don't have to worry about keeping them cold for the few hours before you can get them home and processed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top