JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stopped by Beavercreek armory to drop off a package and saw a grendel p-30. @ $235 I had to have it. Filled out the paperwork, and then the owner called the state. He said they are messing with sellers by being slow. He sat on hold for 25 minutes before giving them my info. He said that is about normal right now which is way longer than it should be for a Wednesday at 1 in the afternoon.

I heard they want to raise the fee to $20+ and/or change the constitution so another agency can be created to deal with BG checks. Anyone heard anything that would explain the long hold time?

I'm surprised BCA didn't just charge the new rates that the state wants to charge and tell you that it already went up.

As for the wait time, I bet that they only had like minimal staff on hand or something or they were just taking their time with calls. Who knows.

I'm surprised BCA didn't just charge the new rates that the state wants to charge and tell you that it already went up.

As for the wait time, I bet that they only had like minimal staff on hand or something or they were just taking their time with calls. Who knows.

I think, the fee is mandated by law making it a little more difficult to change which is a good thing. I hear New york is talking about a $10 fee to own a gun (per year) which would kill gun collecting for anyone but the wealthy. 5 guns = $50 yr just to be able to excercise your 2A rights.

I did in November, they are taking FOREVER! There are 2 bills one in the House and one in the Senate right now to remove the State Police and allow the vendor to go straight through NICS online.
This is excerpted from Oregon Firearms Federation's Alerts Page
"HB 2791 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System. There is a companion bill for this in the Senate, SB 934."
Here is the link to the alerts page: Oregon Firearms Federation
Here is the link to sign up for alerts: Oregon Firearms Federation
Here is the link to find out who your rep. is, if you don't know: <broken link removed>

Get involved, call them.......if you have questions, OFF will be happy to help, spoke to Mr. Starrett today on the phone because I am finally gettin' off my duff and making them work for me, not the other way around.

I think, the fee is mandated by law making it a little more difficult to change which is a good thing. I hear New york is talking about a $10 fee to own a gun (per year) which would kill gun collecting for anyone but the wealthy. 5 guns = $50 yr just to be able to excercise your 2A rights.
Ouch, that would cost me a little over $400 a year! WOW. Hmmm, hope they don't get the bright idea to do ammo, I would really be sunk!

It's taking so long because there are only a few people doing it for the entire state of Oregon! I cannot remember how many people they have available to do the BG checks. But it gets overloaded real quick these days. Everyone in the state is buying guns!

I have a quick question for you Oregon guys (i'm from Washington). I was at a gunshop in Oregon a few months ago and I saw a guy buying a used double barrell shotgun, when the lady selling it to him was calling to get a background check, she gave what the gun make/model, serial number, etc to the BG person on the phone. Is that standard practice in Oregon?

I'm under the impression (what a gunshop owner told me) here in Washington that they go straight to NICS and on the form, it just says rifle or pistol to put a check by-they give no gun info (serial #, make or model) besides that.

Thanks, hopefully someone can anwser that for me.

I have a quick question for you Oregon guys (i'm from Washington). I was at a gunshop in Oregon a few months ago and I saw a guy buying a used double barrell shotgun, when the lady selling it to him was calling to get a background check, she gave what the gun make/model, serial number, etc to the BG person on the phone. Is that standard practice in Oregon?

I'm under the impression (what a gunshop owner told me) here in Washington that they go straight to NICS and on the form, it just says rifle or pistol to put a check by-they give no gun info (serial #, make or model) besides that.

Thanks, hopefully someone can anwser that for me.

That has been the standard in Oregon when I've done a shop purchase.

Bought a gun on Sunday (27 Feb) afternoon. Took only about as long as it took the counter-lady to read the info into the phone. Also, either I caught 'em at a lull, or Sunday is a *good* time to hit GunBroker-Tigard.

Do wish the lady had mentioned debit cards would also not incur the CreditCard surcharge. She said cash or an extra 1-1/2% for credit. I figured it wasn't worth an extra errand, chasing down cash, for the couple bucks and had her go ahead w/ the Disco. Then reading the sign on the counter realized the debit card would have avoided it to. C'est la vie.

MrB+
--
Working my way up to A--

"HB 2791 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System. There is a companion bill for this in the Senate, SB 934."
Here is the link to the alerts page: Oregon Firearms Federation
Here is the link to sign up for alerts: Oregon Firearms Federation
Here is the link to find out who your rep. is, if you don't know: Oregon State Legislature - Find Your Legislator
Yes!!! After I heard OSP wants to raise the check fees I urged my rep (Thatcher) to propose dumping the current system and using NICS since it's free. Looks like she introduced a bill for just that :)
Hopefully it'll go through.

I picked up a transfer last Tuesday. It was 25 minutes of on-hold music before a human being picked--then the usual 90 seconds or so to clear the transaction. We talked about it while waiting and it's been like that for a while. Around 15 reps taking calls, but I can't help feeling there's something intentional going on.

I told the shop owner that if they raise the fees, he should start billing OSP for his time on the phone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top