JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wondering what to fish for. Want to take the family out on the boat this weekend. Fishing during the day and to catch the firework show after sunset.
I think the liberals cancelled the fourth of July. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there won't be any legal fireworks....

Last Edited:
Shad are running right now and fun to catch but I wouldn't eat one. A dick knite or small pink or green worms just off the bottom.

Willamette river fish. :s0001:

Nd9GcRXIATuycUTJCG1UHkx_nYEu25Njy2iWzlu2A&usqp=CAU.jpg Nd9GcTgl9zQgNQkL6chnTOQq2jwB9TdaZLZhNbKdQ&usqp=CAU.jpg 1656739371560.jpeg
1656739381389.jpeg Fish.jpg

Hope you're just doing catch and release for sport. The only fish in there even remotely safe to eat are the migratory fish (salmon, steelhead, etc)... but I still wouldn't put those on my table either.

That said... the kids might have fun going after some bass.

How's the fishing where the river meets up with the Columbia? It would be a long boat ride but a scenic one. I'd like to catch something I can eat. lol.
As far as I'm aware, pretty much anything from the mid columbia area on down is a no-go on resident fish. Actually... come to think of it, I believe the last advisory I saw said ONE resident fish type consumed per week was "safe"... from the mid columbia.

Salmon, steelhead and shad is fine, although, it's still a little sketchy, IMHO. At least anywhere even remotely close to the willamette basin.

I tend to approach stuff with a "how bad can it really be?" type of attitude, but the willamette basin scares even me. 🤣

keep in mind its spring tide flood from now till 3pm tomorrow. might make bubblegum choppy af at the columbia confluence. wind forecast is 7kts, so thats in your favor

How's the fishing where the river meets up with the Columbia? It would be a long boat ride but a scenic one. I'd like to catch something I can eat. lol.
I wouldn't even eat fish caught from the Willamette river in the Southern Willamette valley.
I won't even get in the water, even if only to wade in while keeping my head above the water.
Many people still do, but they don't know any better.

PSA(For anyone unaware): The Willamette river is one of the most polluted rivers in the country. Sure they test for E. Coli and other bacteria, and claim since levels are usually low; it's (generally) safe to swim in. However, there are carcinogenic toxins (that are way way worse than E. Coli/bacteria) in absolute abundance in the river.

It was toxic when I was a kid. Then they cleaned it up some, and it was a little better for a bit.
But it's been extremely toxic again for the last few decades, and that's even down here....
By the time it's flowing through Portland:s0170:
It's a flippin' Superfund site. What does that tell a person?

I wouldn't even eat fish caught from the Willamette river in the Southern Willamette valley.
I won't even get in the water, even if only to wade in while keeping my head above the water.
Many people still do, but they don't know any better.

PSA(For anyone unaware): The Willamette river is one of the most polluted rivers in the country. Sure they test for E. Coli and other bacteria, and claim since levels are usually low; it's (generally) safe to swim in. However, there are carcinogenic toxins (that are way way worse than E. Coli/bacteria) in absolute abundance in the river.

It was toxic when I was a kid. Then they cleaned it up some, and it was a little better for a bit.
But it's been extremely toxic again for the last few decades, and that's even down here....
By the time it's flowing through Portland:s0170:
It's a flippin' Superfund site. What does that tell a person?
I dont swim in the Willamette either, but theres no way its one of the most polluted in the country... Old willy is pretty pristine compared to rivers like the Ohio, or the Tennessee, or Cuyahoga, or the Delaware, or the Hudson, or the Holston, or the Schuylkill, etc...

I dont swim in the Willamette either, but theres no way its one of the most polluted in the country... Old willy is pretty pristine compared to rivers like the Ohio, or the Tennessee, or Cuyahoga, or the Delaware, or the Hudson, or the Holston, or the Schuylkill, etc...
As hard as it seems to believe, actually, it is. The Willamette is right up there with the rivers you listed above -- Far from pristine.

Lots of industries dumped a crapload of bad bad chemicals that seeped into the river starting in the early 1900s. The entire river from the Broadway Bridge up to the mouth of the Columbia is a high-priority Superfund site.

As hard as it seems to believe, actually, it is. The Willamette is right up there with the rivers you listed above -- Far from pristine.

Lots of industries dumped a crapload of bad bad chemicals that seeped into the river starting in the early 1900s. The entire river from the Broadway Bridge up to the mouth of the Columbia is a high-priority Superfund site.

I wont try to argue that the Willamette is clean (thats obvious a losing argument lol)... but I still think its pretty pristine compared to rivers like the Ohio or Tennessee.

I mean you can tell the Ohio river is polluted as hell just by looking at google maps, the number of massive industrial sites along its banks is staggering... While the Willamette river def has some industrial polluters, the Chemours plant outside of Parkersburg WV is probably a bigger polluter than every industrial site south of the broadway bridge combined.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top