JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hi guys,
A friend of mine is interested in getting into firearm collecting and shooting. I took him to the range a couple weeks ago and he showed some talent, as well as good attention to instruction and safety. I think he'll make a fine addition to our ranks.
So, he was picking my brain last week on what rifle he should start with and showed great interest in the AR platform. I recommended a carbine in .223 from a reputable manufacturer, a good starter rifle in an easy caliber.
Then he finds a good deal on a sig 716 and asks my opinion on it, not having ever fired one I can only tell him the reputation of sig and the specs of the rifle. I told him it's a heavy rifle (12lbs loaded, with an optic) , in a powerful caliber (308), made by a reputable company.
Anyone here have any time under their belts with one? How's it run, hold up, carry? Would you recommend it to a new gunner?

Being that rifle is discontinued I would pass.
I would start with a decent DI AR15 for many reasons such as cost of ammo but if you just gotta have an AR10 I would stick with a regular ol Direct Impingement like the new Sig 716i Sig Sauer

Ruger dropped their piston AR's also and don't have a semi .308 anymore.
Aero is another option M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16
There are others but the price doubles.

Being that rifle is discontinued I would pass.
I would start with a decent DI AR15 for many reasons such as cost of ammo but if you just gotta have an AR10 I would stick with a regular ol Direct Impingement like the new Sig 716i Sig Sauer

Ruger dropped their piston AR's also and don't have a semi .308 anymore.
Aero is another option M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16
There are others but the price doubles.
I didn't know it was discontinued, that might be why it's so cheap. I told him there might be a reason it's such a good deal, given the current market.

Current Gunbroker completed auctions for the 716 is about $2,000 and a 716i for about $1,500
If the price is good I would see what spare parts are available for it and if you can stock up on them.
Namely the gas system, piston, spring etc.
Otherwise you send the whole thing back to Sig if something breaks.

Like my Ruger SR762. No spare parts to have on hand for the upper.
If something happens with the BCG, I have to ship the whole thing back to Ruger.
Something I should have thought about more when I bought it a few years ago.

Yeah, he's getting a smokin' deal on it.
I did just do a search for parts, seem pretty scarce!
Thanks for pointing these things out, I didn't think of it. I stick to mostly mil-spec parts on the ar platform.

To my recollection the 716 had a pretty good following when it came out. I'd guess sales fell off due to the build market gaining popularity, and most of what you'll find out there is DI on the AR-10. I'm a .308 guy all the way - if your buddy wants to pony up the weight and extra cash to shoot, I think he'll like it. Not sure what deal he's getting on the 716, but building one up is a fun option.

I gave him the opportunity to walk him through a build, he likes my guns! I build lightweight, soft shooting ARs.
He found the sig with a mk4 leupold and a bunch of mags for $1700. I selfishly want him to buy it so I can shoot it! But I did recommend him away from it for a first rifle.

Military Arms Channel just did a video on the 716i. Apparently India just purchased 140,000 of them for their norther command troops along the mountainous border, so I seriously doubt they are going anywhere.
I have a 716G2 patrol that I purchased when looking for a more optic friendly rifle to replace my M1A.
It's very accurate and I really don't have a bad thing to say about it.