Anyone familiar with the Sig 716?

Sbarton

Reactions
hi guys,
A friend of mine is interested in getting into firearm collecting and shooting. I took him to the range a couple weeks ago and he showed some talent, as well as good attention to instruction and safety. I think he'll make a fine addition to our ranks.
So, he was picking my brain last week on what rifle he should start with and showed great interest in the AR platform. I recommended a carbine in .223 from a reputable manufacturer, a good starter rifle in an easy caliber.
Then he finds a good deal on a sig 716 and asks my opinion on it, not having ever fired one I can only tell him the reputation of sig and the specs of the rifle. I told him it's a heavy rifle (12lbs loaded, with an optic) , in a powerful caliber (308), made by a reputable company.
Anyone here have any time under their belts with one? How's it run, hold up, carry? Would you recommend it to a new gunner?

powermad

Reactions
Being that rifle is discontinued I would pass.
I would start with a decent DI AR15 for many reasons such as cost of ammo but if you just gotta have an AR10 I would stick with a regular ol Direct Impingement like the new Sig 716i Sig Sauer

Ruger dropped their piston AR's also and don't have a semi .308 anymore.
Aero is another option M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16
There are others but the price doubles.

OP
Sbarton

Sbarton

Reactions
Being that rifle is discontinued I would pass.
I would start with a decent DI AR15 for many reasons such as cost of ammo but if you just gotta have an AR10 I would stick with a regular ol Direct Impingement like the new Sig 716i Sig Sauer

Ruger dropped their piston AR's also and don't have a semi .308 anymore.
Aero is another option M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16
There are others but the price doubles.
I didn't know it was discontinued, that might be why it's so cheap. I told him there might be a reason it's such a good deal, given the current market.

powermad

Reactions
Current Gunbroker completed auctions for the 716 is about $2,000 and a 716i for about $1,500
If the price is good I would see what spare parts are available for it and if you can stock up on them.
Namely the gas system, piston, spring etc.
Otherwise you send the whole thing back to Sig if something breaks.

Like my Ruger SR762. No spare parts to have on hand for the upper.
If something happens with the BCG, I have to ship the whole thing back to Ruger.
Something I should have thought about more when I bought it a few years ago.

OP
Sbarton

Sbarton

Reactions
Yeah, he's getting a smokin' deal on it.
I did just do a search for parts, seem pretty scarce!
Thanks for pointing these things out, I didn't think of it. I stick to mostly mil-spec parts on the ar platform.

Reactions
To my recollection the 716 had a pretty good following when it came out. I’d guess sales fell off due to the build market gaining popularity, and most of what you’ll find out there is DI on the AR-10. I’m a .308 guy all the way - if your buddy wants to pony up the weight and extra cash to shoot, I think he’ll like it. Not sure what deal he’s getting on the 716, but building one up is a fun option.

OP
Sbarton

Sbarton

Reactions
I gave him the opportunity to walk him through a build, he likes my guns! I build lightweight, soft shooting ARs.
He found the sig with a mk4 leupold and a bunch of mags for $1700. I selfishly want him to buy it so I can shoot it! But I did recommend him away from it for a first rifle.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Northwest Armory - Tigard
    1.00 star(s)
    Completely unhappy!
    Not happy, customer service is highly lacking, and the male employees are rude. We wont be back!!
  • Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
Top Bottom