JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone here ever witnessed a "Ka-Boom" (Glock or otherwise) first hand that involved factory ammo? I have seen a total of three in my whole life (one Glock, one Beretta, and one S&W revolver) and every time it involved hand loads. One of the guys it happened to swore it was not the ammos fault because it was factory ammo but it turned out he had bought reloads at the gunshow.

I have seen a few instances on the internet that actually seemed reputable, but they always seem to involve handloads too. Of course, since this is an internet forum, I am sure some of the eyewitness accounts we get posted here will all be perfectly reliable. :)

i had one that i recall but again it was not new factory loads but Gun show 5.56 (.223) seconds

It did not damage the rifle just made a different sound and shot the mag out the bottom like its supposed to. i thought it just fell out until i looked and saw that the floor plate was bent outward.

i had one that i recall but again it was not new factory loads but Gun show 5.56 (.223) seconds

It did not damage the rifle just made a different sound and shot the mag out the bottom like its supposed to. i thought it just fell out until i looked and saw that the floor plate was bent outward.

I had the same thing happen with gunshow ammo. For a while a guy had ammo cans full of .223, "factory reloads". Blew the mag out, blew off the extractor, bent the bolt head.

I only shoot factory new ammo from my AR now.

I had the same thing happen with gunshow ammo. For a while a guy had ammo cans full of .223, "factory reloads". Blew the mag out, blew off the extractor, bent the bolt head.

I only shoot factory new ammo from my AR now.

sounds like the same stuff i was using. guess i got lucky

No personal experience, but there's been quite a few instances over the last couple years of AR's blowing up using XM193. Mostly lower quality guns like DPMS and Oly, if I remember. But I did read a story about a Colt as well.

I had a Glock .40 go Kaboom about 8 or 9 years ago about 50 rounds into my brand new gun w/ brand new Federal Hydra-shock. Got rid of the gun (Actually, sent it to Federal who then sent to Glock). Got a new glock in .40 for replacement & no issues. Also got 500 rounds of ammo from Federal...still got some to this day!
It was scary...was my first handgun I owned & never knew this could happen.

I had a Glock .40 go Kaboom about 8 or 9 years ago about 50 rounds into my brand new gun w/ brand new Federal Hydra-shock. Got rid of the gun (Actually, sent it to Federal who then sent to Glock). Got a new glock in .40 for replacement & no issues. Also got 500 rounds of ammo from Federal...still got some to this day!
It was scary...was my first handgun I owned & never knew this could happen.

its a non issue with guns that wherent made from recycled legos

Yep, factory loads. 30.06 bolt. First bullet was a squib and stuck in barrel. Inexperienced shooter didn't ID difference in sound and fired again and split the barrel almost full length.

He was a few benches down from me. I asked him if he noticed a difference in sound on the squib load. He said he did but didn't know it was a problem.

He wasn't hurt. Both bullets were still in the barrel, badly distorted.

Personally I've never seen an issue with a reload - just heard of them.

I have heard of Glocks blowing, but I've never seen it other than pictures. Seems like a lot of LEO depts use them and you'd think they wouldn't if it was at all common?

$.02

Only ever seen one - fatal - with a 1917 Colt .38 Spec loaded with a compressed charge of about 16gr of Bullseye under a 158gr RN lead bullet.

It actually took three shots to let go, but when it did it blew the side of the chamber through the neck of a by-stander. Another part had already gone through his eyeball and into his brain, but I didn't know that at the time. I just kept a hold on his carotid artery as we got to ER, but I felt him die as I lifted him off the flatbed truck we had used to get him there. Seems that he would never have regained consciousness anyhow, but I did my best to keep him going and failed. It's now almost thirty years ago, and I still feel very bad about it.

tac

When I was a teenager a guy shooting next to me had a failure to fire in his bolt action. When he opened the breach it went off in his face. He came running up to me as fast as he could to ask me how bad he was injured. He had 3 or 4 small shrapnel wounds to his face. He's lucky he was not blinded. Apparently he was shooting military surplus.

One of my buddies a few years ago went to fire his brand NIB Bushmaster using S & B rounds. After around 100 rounds or so his upper receiver blew apart in his face. Luckily he wasn't hurt. Bushmaster claims that it was the S & B ammo though.

I saw a near kaboom more than once with Aquilla ammo. Squib loads sent bullet down the barrel. If there hadn't have been a RO there watching the guy would have blown up his MP5. Mexican ammo is junk. At the time Aquilla made ammo for PMC

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads