Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Anyone ever witness a "Ka-Boom" using factory ammo?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Has anyone here ever witnessed a "Ka-Boom" (Glock or otherwise) first hand that involved factory ammo? I have seen a total of three in my whole life (one Glock, one Beretta, and one S&W revolver) and every time it involved hand loads. One of the guys it happened to swore it was not the ammos fault because it was factory ammo but it turned out he had bought reloads at the gunshow.

I have seen a few instances on the internet that actually seemed reputable, but they always seem to involve handloads too. Of course, since this is an internet forum, I am sure some of the eyewitness accounts we get posted here will all be perfectly reliable. :)

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I've only seen it first hand with handloads.

3. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i had one that i recall but again it was not new factory loads but Gun show 5.56 (.223) seconds

It did not damage the rifle just made a different sound and shot the mag out the bottom like its supposed to. i thought it just fell out until i looked and saw that the floor plate was bent outward.

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I had the same thing happen with gunshow ammo. For a while a guy had ammo cans full of .223, "factory reloads". Blew the mag out, blew off the extractor, bent the bolt head.

I only shoot factory new ammo from my AR now.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

sounds like the same stuff i was using. guess i got lucky

6. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

No personal experience, but there's been quite a few instances over the last couple years of AR's blowing up using XM193. Mostly lower quality guns like DPMS and Oly, if I remember. But I did read a story about a Colt as well.

7. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

glock will come after you if you talk about there nade/pistols

it didnt happen :mad:

kinda like the germans who where on vacation

8. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

remington factory target ammo blew up my glock 23, had maybe 1000 rounds through that gun

9. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

LOL :bluelaugh:

10. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I had a Glock .40 go Kaboom about 8 or 9 years ago about 50 rounds into my brand new gun w/ brand new Federal Hydra-shock. Got rid of the gun (Actually, sent it to Federal who then sent to Glock). Got a new glock in .40 for replacement & no issues. Also got 500 rounds of ammo from Federal...still got some to this day!
    It was scary...was my first handgun I owned & never knew this could happen.

11. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

its a non issue with guns that wherent made from recycled legos

12. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Yep, factory loads. 30.06 bolt. First bullet was a squib and stuck in barrel. Inexperienced shooter didn't ID difference in sound and fired again and split the barrel almost full length.

He was a few benches down from me. I asked him if he noticed a difference in sound on the squib load. He said he did but didn't know it was a problem.

He wasn't hurt. Both bullets were still in the barrel, badly distorted.

Personally I've never seen an issue with a reload - just heard of them.

I have heard of Glocks blowing, but I've never seen it other than pictures. Seems like a lot of LEO depts use them and you'd think they wouldn't if it was at all common?

$.02

13. tac

tac UK, Oregon and Ontario. Well-Known Member

Only ever seen one - fatal - with a 1917 Colt .38 Spec loaded with a compressed charge of about 16gr of Bullseye under a 158gr RN lead bullet.

It actually took three shots to let go, but when it did it blew the side of the chamber through the neck of a by-stander. Another part had already gone through his eyeball and into his brain, but I didn't know that at the time. I just kept a hold on his carotid artery as we got to ER, but I felt him die as I lifted him off the flatbed truck we had used to get him there. Seems that he would never have regained consciousness anyhow, but I did my best to keep him going and failed. It's now almost thirty years ago, and I still feel very bad about it.

tac

14. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

When I was a teenager a guy shooting next to me had a failure to fire in his bolt action. When he opened the breach it went off in his face. He came running up to me as fast as he could to ask me how bad he was injured. He had 3 or 4 small shrapnel wounds to his face. He's lucky he was not blinded. Apparently he was shooting military surplus.

15. Buddhalux

Buddhalux Hillsboro, Oregon Active Member

One of my buddies a few years ago went to fire his brand NIB Bushmaster using S & B rounds. After around 100 rounds or so his upper receiver blew apart in his face. Luckily he wasn't hurt. Bushmaster claims that it was the S & B ammo though.

16. jkraig

jkraig West Linn, Oregon New Member

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

I saw a near kaboom more than once with Aquilla ammo. Squib loads sent bullet down the barrel. If there hadn't have been a RO there watching the guy would have blown up his MP5. Mexican ammo is junk. At the time Aquilla made ammo for PMC

jj

18. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

riiiiiight...because it's the polymer frame that causes the kaboom...

19. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I was shooting with a buddy and his Glock 19 KB'd.

I had one of my machine guns Kaboom on me. It was a 7.62x25 Yugo M56. It was a OOB detonation though. Still works.