JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if fellow Oregonians ever had a run-in or an issue with law enforcement who didnt know its not illegal to hunt with a silencer attached to their firearm? Last spring I asked 2 young Oregon State Police at the Redmond Sportsman show while they man their display table of a crusade against poaching and asked whether it was legal to hunt with silencers? Immediately one of them said "no!, its not legal to hunt with silencers". A few seconds later the other officer said hesitantly " Well, I looked into that issue a few months ago as someone else asked that question and I couldnt find a law against the use of a silencer while hunting, but I'm gonna tell ya I wouldnt recommend it" "Also, silencers are illegal unless you have a federal license, so you better have one of those":s0112:. They stared at me as though I was an assassin or seeking a loophole to poach their precious managed game/farm animals we all pay so much to hunt.:D Of course I wasnt laughing in his face, but I wanted to. I felt like schooling those two and show them its a stamp and theres alot more people with cans than they know, but I figured whats the use in taking a chance of pissing them off and taking note of me. Anyway, have you had any problems with LE and your NFA toys?

Not yet, havn't been checked yet. It's a lot harder for ODFW to find/check you while hunting, than it is when your fishing. I carry a copy of an email from ODFW, along with my paperwork, JIC. It basically says it's legal to hunt with a suppressor. :)

I'm sure probably atleast half the cops have no clue about them,,,:(

this is definitely one of those situations where it's quite possible to get a "well i'm sure that's illegal, so i'm gonna confiscate your bubblegum until i find out otherwise." i've seen similar happen before.

there are risks to being a law-abiding gun owner. we all know that. we're products of a couple generations of movie-watchers who honestly think suppressors are only used for, and good for, assassinating people in the shadows. even though that cloak and dagger bubblegum only account for probably somewhere in the neighborhood of .00000000000000000000001% of sound suppressor use. and, as we all know, there are PLENTY of cops out there who honestly believe suppressors are illegal to begin with.

if i had a suppressor, i'd hunt with it. not all the time- as it weighs down your muzz pretty good, but at least when stand hunting. perhaps when stalking through dense areas, where contact distance is gonna be within 10m... and attached to an SBR (double "felony"). but i would definitely brace myself.. mentally prepare myself.. for the possibility of confiscation. the only thing to do is to just make sure you get all his info, and calmly go on your way. if you resist, it's not gonna end well. that'd be the hardest part for me.

coyote, did you contact the main ODFW or just your local office? Were they responsive or did you have to badger them to get a clarification? I should probably do that too as I dont want my over priced aluminum tube taken away by an officer that doesnt know its not illegal. I only carry my stamp copy and my Veterans Admin statement reflecting hearing loss from service, but doubt an officer really cares that I'm protecting my hearing from further damage.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top