JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a New Glock 19 last year at the gun shop off 205 near Johnson creek last year, the whole buy took 20 minutes, Today at Money Market Pawn, i got a lower there I saw on the Gun Broker, they did the whole form and fingerprints and i got a "delay", not a decline, not a proceed, just delayed. I know it happens but does Anyone ever find out why it happens? Like what the hold up was? I dont like it out there and im going to have to go back...Again! I did this to save some money from shipping and transfer fees, I am clean. but I GOT TO KNOW WHY??? its making me crazy. Did I forget Jury duty or something? Let me know if they let you know, or if you asked?
thanks
johnny.

I got a New Glock 19 last year at the gun shop off 205 near Johnson creek last year, the whole buy took 20 minutes, Today at Money Market Pawn, i got a lower there I saw on the Gun Broker, they did the whole form and fingerprints and i got a "delay", not a decline, not a proceed, just delayed. I know it happens but does Anyone ever find out why it happens? Like what the hold up was? I dont like it out there and im going to have to go back...Again! I did this to save some money from shipping and transfer fees, I am clean. but I GOT TO KNOW WHY??? its making me crazy. Did I forget Jury duty or something? Let me know if they let you know, or if you asked?
thanks
johnny.

I had a delay once, but I don't think they give reasons. I certainly didn't get one. I just attributed it to me having a common name, the guy taking the call from my FFL having a fight with his wife, or general bureacratic jerkoffery. Then I went back after the three days or whatever and picked up my gun.

if you have an FBI file you get delayed clearance from military ect: i get delayed all the time sometimes 12 hours sometimes more its how busy they are

I was told it could be anything. I once got a delay while dealing with Coctailer. Funny thing is they told him it would be 5 days and 2 days later he calls me and says we are good to go. Could be slow computers or as stated maybe the guy on the other end was having a bad day. We will probably never know why unless when you go to leave a few nice officers are waiting for you:s0114:

I heard that you could get a phone # from the dealer or state police, and then you can call the state check system and they will tell you why it was delayed. But I could be wrong, thats just what I read somewhere.

wg

I heard that you could get a phone # from the dealer or state police, and then you can call the state check system and they will tell you why it was delayed. But I could be wrong, thats just what I read somewhere.

wg
I called the Oregon NICS phone number listed for bubbleguming but they were closed, its the whole idea that a bunch of people know the reason and I dont. I have learned to trust most all of you so I will sit back and wait. I just want my new toy... thanks everyone!

if you have an FBI file you get delayed clearance from military ect: i get delayed all the time sometimes 12 hours sometimes more its how busy they are
The only thing ive ever got in trouble for was a speeding ticket i "forgot" to pay but ended paying 3 times the amount and getting my licence bumped in 1989. wish my life was somewhat crazy active to have an FBI file...

I was delayed 10-12 years ago on a rifle. I asked the dealer why would I get delayed. I was told at that time that the state never gives the reasons for a delay. The next morning I received a call to come pick up my gun.
By brother in law bought a shotgun at Bi-Mart a couple of years ago. I was with him and he asked the same question only to get the same answer. He got a call 2 or 3 days later to come in and pick it up.
Unless something's changed, I'd expect that it's nothing you'll ever know.

I doubt it has anything to do with the military, since I've never been delayed and am retired... I also have my prints on file for my FFL (03) and for my CPL, so I know the FBI has a least got a jacket with my name on it.... Although my name is NOT a common name (either first or last)...

Do the FFL types in Orygun call the NICS directly or use a State agency that calls in to NICS?

I Think some of it has to do with common names, type of firearm, and some is just random. They surely dont want people looking at their records and seeing them just green lighting all firearm sales then it would look like they were not doing their job
I have always gotten a proceed where my dad has had delayed and a decline, then ran thru 3 days later and got a proceed.
Remember this is the Government, there is no rhyme or reason.

I am always delayed, always. The FFL never gets a call back, ever. After three days I pick up the gun.

Why? Who knows. Retired military, TS clearance. Major Aerospace Co, retired, TS and special access clearances. FBI file, you bet, goes back over 45 years. Finger prints, done every three years. New background check every 3 years for the last 45 years. One run in with a foreign agent from one of "those" countries, cleared and forgotten (or not) by the Feds. Current CPL. But, I always get delayed.

Why? Got me!
Ed

Have the Oregon resident in this thread written to their Representative in the State house regarding <broken link removed> ?

Introduced by state Representative Kim Thatcher (R-25), HB 2791 would remove the Department of State Police as the designated state point of contact for the purposes of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Oregon gun owners should not have to pay for background investigations through the state that are free of charge under the NICS federal program. HB 2791 would eliminate this duplicative check system.

I wrote mine the other day and you should write yours as well. Make your voice heard. Find you Representative <broken link removed> .

the NICS should get them selves up to date with at least the 2000's High technology. I really cant see more then a 10 TB computer server not being able to answer all the questions that the 4473? form has to ask, I know im sounding like a baby, but im itching to pit that AR together now. All the other parts were/are easy, just Shipping and handling, Surplus ammo and arms has stripped lower parts for about 50 bucks, A tango down looking copy from Isreal for 10 bucks. Troy battle handles and a steal at some places right now. When I finely get the Mega lower I am going to be so happy to shoot something with accuracy more than 100 feet, I have mastered my Gamo .17 hunter pellet rifle. I am ready for real yardage now, 150 meters. (its a lot for me)

thanks for all your input about the delay, I felt really dirty when they said they were going to have to call me and I got the Glock in about twenty minutes just about two years ago. I am really
understanding the members here that prefer the FTF.

thanks again for keeping me informed.
Johnny!

I got a surprise hold a couple of years ago and actually found out why. The Feds had recently switched to a deeper level of computer searching, and an unresolved arrest record disposition from 1972 (!) turned up. I seems that some clerk had not checked a box that no criminal charges were ever filed against me---BACK IN 1972! The good folks at the Oregon State Police Challenge Line straightened it out for me, even though it took repeated calls to three different states to do it. I'm clear again now, and got my money's worth on that particular background check fee!.........................elsullo

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top