JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my CPL and bought a gun w/ it. Got denied on a second purchase, got a proceed on the next attempt then a denial on a fourth. Filed my appeals and got a UPIN. They said I had "similar descriptive features or name as someone else". NICS actually doesnt keep a record of your previous approved transactions just your denials and as soon as a denial gets overturned it comes off their system. A UPIN is essentially letting them have and save the more "critical" info on you so delays and denials won't happen as often.

Buddy of mine got delayed because the FFL misspoke the street name on which he lives. Took the full waiting period and then some to get an "Okay to proceed."

Annoying, but not critically so.

I got my CPL and bought a gun w/ it. Got denied on a second purchase, got a proceed on the next attempt then a denial on a fourth. Filed my appeals and got a UPIN. They said I had "similar descriptive features or name as someone else". NICS actually doesnt keep a record of your previous approved transactions just your denials and as soon as a denial gets overturned it comes off their system. A UPIN is essentially letting them have and save the more "critical" info on you so delays and denials won't happen as often.

I too applied for the U-Pin# & received it, after 15 years of being delayed at every gunshow I went to & finally being Denied in 2005. Finally after 6 months the FBI decided there was no reason for me to be denied & the next day I applied for & later received an 01 FFL. FBI & ATF are some funny folks, they are always makin me LOL--Bastards

Buddy of mine got delayed because the FFL misspoke the street name on which he lives. Took the full waiting period and then some to get an "Okay to proceed."

Annoying, but not critically so.

Yep, it is important to fill in all the spaces legibly on the form, but I like to print anything I can't read on the front page correctly elsewhere on the form. Then again I actually want my customer to buy something...

I never got delayed until a year ago which also turned into a denial. NICS sent me a letter stating that reason for the denial was my "dishonorable discharge from US military service". Only problem is I have never been in the military. Someone with similar name was and NICS is a name/description based system. Sent in fingerprints and waited. Took NICS over 8 months to investigate and tell me I was good to go, even though I went out and purchased other firearms about 2 months before they told me I was good to go.

After this little hiccup I have been delayed 5 out of 6 times as of today. Longest I have had to wait is 2 days for the "proceed" to come in and shortest was 2 hours. Purchased an AK-47 at an AZ gun show a few months ago and that NICS check went thru instantly. The other 5 purchases here in WA have all been delayed (I'm a WA resident). I also have a WA CHL. Actually I just got my 5th delay today, ask me if I'm surprised! I usually do not put my SS number on 4473 form but this time I did just to see if it would make a difference, as you can see above it did not. Thought about doing UPIN deal but NICS will be the first to tell you that you will probably still be delayed even with that.

Don't sweat it. It is a pain in the *** but it is what it is. People I dealt with at NICS were always helpful and courteous but even they told me that things there do not move at lightning speed just due to the mass volume they deal with.

Actually in my experience the NICS people are uninformed, unknowledgable, a-holes and their entire system should be shut down immediately. I must say the gov't lack of ability to do anything well, other than destroy innocent citizens lives & livelihood, is the only good news about our gov't.

My experience in WA State. I was buying handguns and just doing the waiting period with no problem. First time I used my CPL I get a hold.

I learned that if you go the 3 day wait the state doesnt use the Fed database so there is usually no problems.
If you use a CPL the FFL uses a NICS check where the Fed database has different reasons to hold....

I got a UPIN just in case but have not used it. On my hold I waited a few months with no resolution. I contacted Sen. Cantwell's office and in less than a week I had my hold released....

I got the call yesterday to pick up the AR lower from the FFL, Im glad to have it finely. A basic Maga Gator lower, I ended up gettting it for $119 dollars and no FFL shipping and handling charges. I found the lower on GunBroker.com doing an Oregon only search, It ended up that the FFL was a pawn shop out on 163rd and SE Powell. I was wondering if getting something from a pawn shop would maybe put a slight red flag on anything? Just a thought. They are holding another for me so I can have consecutive serial numbers. I know lowers really don't make the rifle but I am a die hard NW business supporter. Oregon, Washington and Idaho (and I can't really forget Northern California and the Vancouver BC area plus parts of Montanan) Well... anyways, I Got It!

Thanks for are or your input. It made me feel better

I got the call yesterday to pick up the AR lower from the FFL, Im glad to have it finely. A basic Maga Gator lower, I ended up gettting it for $119 dollars and no FFL shipping and handling charges. I found the lower on GunBroker.com doing an Oregon only search, It ended up that the FFL was a pawn shop out on 163rd and SE Powell. I was wondering if getting something from a pawn shop would maybe put a slight red flag on anything? Just a thought. They are holding another for me so I can have consecutive serial numbers. I know lowers really don't make the rifle but I am a die hard NW business supporter. Oregon, Washington and Idaho (and I can't really forget Northern California and the Vancouver BC area plus parts of Montanan) Well... anyways, I Got It!

Thanks for are or your input. It made me feel better

Since the ATF assumes that every licensed dealer is following all applicable laws, there would be no pawnshop "red flag"

Since the ATF assumes that every licensed dealer is following all applicable laws, there would be no pawnshop "red flag"

But if you were running guns into Mexico it would go through immediately, even if the FFL didn't want to sell it to you!

I have an uncommon name, have never been denied or even a short hold, always good to go on the spot.

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show